"This was a normal Tuesday practice for us. We pushed through it pretty good. Obviously it is hot and humid, but it will be hot and humid in South Carolina. We just have to be prepared and ready to give great effort because that is what it is going to take to win the football game."
· RB Derron Thomas, RB Charlie Jones, and FB Quadtrine Hill worked with the first-team offense today at the tailback spot with RB Tyrone Moss still slowed by injury.
· SS Brandon Meriweather practiced with the first team today and is expected to start at strong safety on Saturday. Meriweather had seven tackles, two pass breakups, and a fumble recovery in the game against Florida State.
· FB Quadtrine Hill is getting reps at the tailback spot with the injury to Moss. Hill has rushed for 130 yards on 28 carries in his career (4.6 avg).
· OL Tony Tella was told that he will start against Clemson at right guard. Tella only played in the fourth quarter last game because he did not practice the majority of August due to a high ankle sprain. He said he was at "90 to 95 percent".
· OL Andrew Bain will be the first guard off the bench with Tella starting. Bain can play either guard spot and could work into a rotation with McMeans and Tella.
· DT Kareem Brown is getting a lot of reps in with the first team this past week with the injury to Baraka Atkins. Brown had two tackles in the game against Florida State. He potentially could start if Atkins is not ready.
· WR Akieem Jolla caught a long pass from QB Kirby Freeman against the scout team defense today. Jolla is a great downfield threat, but unfortunately he has not been used by the coaching staff in a situation he could excel in. He caught a 39-yard touchdown pass in his Miami debut in 2002, but has not been used down the field since then. Last year his longest catch went for 15 yards.
· RB Tyrone Moss did not practice today because of a "pretty good bruise on his lower leg" according to Coker. "We will see how he feels after today and tomorrow," Coker said.
· DT Baraka Atkins did not do any contact drills today, mainly individual work. He is still expected to play in the game Saturday. "I definitely expect to play, he is much, much better," Coker said.
· LB Tavares Gooden has been ruled out for the Clemson game with a shoulder injury. He was in a sling along the sidelines. A timetable for his return is unknown at this point.
· OL Derrick Morse is still out with a fracured shoulder. He is expected to miss 4-6 weeks.
· RB Andrew Johnson is still recovering from an ACL injury he suffered last December. Johnson could be cleared to practice within a month, but it is still unsure whether or not he will play this season or redshirt and come back next year as a sophomore.
· FS Anthony Reddick, DT Teraz McCray, CB Glenn Sharpe, and CB Carlos Armour are not practicing and are still recovering from ACL injuries. All four will miss the 2005 season.
Wednesday, September 14 at 3:20 p.m.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor for CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com