"Today was a physical day. I think the scout team did a great job today--they made us work. We worked a lot on the blitz pick up and this was one of the better practices of the year. I really liked what I saw today."
· CB Devin Hester will start Saturday due to an injury to Marcus Maxey. Hester will continue to work in on the offense.
· CB Bruce Johnson and SS Greg Threat are the next in line according to Coker at the cornerback spots with Maxey and Phillips out. Johnson played in his first career game last week against Colorado.
· DT Baraka Atkins celebrated his 21st birthday today with an ice shower by his defensive line teammates after practice. Atkins has 10 tackles on the season including two for loss.
· OL Reggie Youngblood and A.J. Trump are not expected to redshirt this season, but offensive line coach Art Kehoe wants to make sure they get in for a quarter as opposed to a series when they burn their shirt. Both are currently on the second-team.
· OL Alex Pou has been the second-team center lately as he works himself back into the rotation after a shoulder injury that slowed him in August.
· OL Tyrone Byrd has been moving around lately. Byrd has played guard and tackle as well as center. It is hard to say where he will settle in at, but it does not appear center is in his future.
· RB Charlie Jones continues to impress Coker and look for him to get more carries against South Florida. The coaches really like Jones and always have. It makes it hard for Derron Thomas to get a substantial amount of carries when Jones appears to be right there with him.
· LB Tavares Gooden has been ruled out for the third straight game due to a shoulder injury he suffered in the first game.
· CB Randy Phillips will not play against South Florida due to a knee injury suffered against Colorado. Phillips was at practice with crutches and a full-leg cast. He is not expected to return to the field anytime soon.
· LB Darryl Sharpton also has been ruled out against South Florida. Sharpton suffered a leg/ankle injury against Colorado and is expected to miss at least a couple of games.
· CB Marcus Maxey will not start on Saturday, but could play. Maxey suffered a foot sprain last week against Colorado and missed the second half of the game.
· SS Greg Threat did not practice with a thigh bruise according to Coker. Threat was in pads, but did not participate in a lot of drills. He is not going full-speed yet. At this point, Threat is considered probable for Saturday.
· TE Buck Ortega did not practice with an undisclosed leg injury. Ortega was in pads, but did not participate in a lot of drills. At this point, Ortega is considered questionable for Saturday.
· FS Anthony Reddick, CB Glenn Sharpe, DT Teraz McCray, and CB Carlos Armour are not practicing and are still recovering from ACL injuries. All four will miss the 2005 season.
Thursday, September 29 at 3:20 p.m.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com