"We had a good day today and we look forward to playing well on Saturday. I really have liked what I have seen. We have had a good week. We were a bit concerned with the weather--it has been raining on and off."
"The steps we take each week is that we are a little bit more mature football team. The attitude the guys have, is it is about us. I think they really believe that and have bought into it. That is their theme. We prepare the same each week in terms of routine and preparation."
· RB Andrew Johnson "looked good" today according to Coker. Johnson is still expected to play Saturday against Duke. The 5-foot-11, 200-pound sophomore rushed for 41 yards and one touchdown on 16 carries last season as a freshman. According to Coker he could have played two weeks ago. Although he is expected to play, he is not the same player he was before. He still lack agility and his side-to-side movement is not the same as it was. He can still be effective as a straight-ahead runner, but is still not where he would like to be.
· The passing game this week has improved. "We were definitely better this week," Coker said. "Everything was pass and catch. We didn't accept anything that wasn't a catch."
· WR Darnell Jenkins has an ankle sprain according to Coker and did not practice today. Jenkins was in a hard cast to immobilize it. He is expected to be in a walking boot at the end of the week and be re-evaluated. He will not play on Saturday and is questionable for a return against Temple.
· OL Cyrim Wimbs sprained his ankle in the game against USF. He did not practice today although he was suited up. He hobbled around quite a bit and will not play this weekend.
· LB Tavares Gooden had shoulder surgery earlier this week and it went well. "He needed to have it done, but there were some definite things that needed to be repaired."
· CB Randy Phillips will not play against Duke, but Coker hopes to "get him back in a couple of weeks".
· LB Darryl Sharpton will not play against Duke. Today at practice he was wearing a knee and ankle brace is expected to miss at least a couple of games.
· FS Anthony Reddick, CB Glenn Sharpe, DT Teraz McCray, and CB Carlos Armour are not practicing and are still recovering from ACL injuries. All four will miss the 2005 season.
Tuesday, October 11, at 3:20 p.m.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com