· DATE: Saturday, November 5 TIME: 7:45 p.m. TV: ESPN
· Virginia Tech has won the last two meetings and seven of the last 10.
· Miami leads the all-time series 15-7.
· Miami head coach Larry Coker is 3-0 in his career against teams that are ranked higher.
· Last season, the Hurricanes lost 16-10 in the Orange Bowl with the ACC title on the line. Virginia Tech was led by RB Cedric Humes who rushed for 110 yards. Miami finished with 190 yards on offense on 53 plays.
QB #3 Kyle Wright LT #74 Eric Winston RB #30 Tyrone Moss LG #68 Tyler McMeans FB #23 Quadtrine Hill C #78 Anthony Wollschlager WR #85 Ryan Moore RG #61 Tony Tella WR #83 Sinorice Moss RT #64 Rashad Butler TE #82 Greg OlsenOther Key Players: QB Kirby Freeman, RB Charlie Jones, FB James Bryant, WR Lance Leggett, WR Darnell Jenkins, CB Devin Hester, OL Derrick Morse, OL Andrew Bain, OL Reggie Youngblood
Keep your eye on: Hill, who is coming off his best game as a Hurricane after recording a blocked punt and recovered it for a touchdown. Also was outstanding blocking for Moss last week.
LE #95 Bryan Pata CB #22 Kelly Jennings LT #98 Baraka Atkins CB #24 Marcus Maxey RT #92 Orien Harris FS #1 Kenny Phillips RE #90 Thomas Carroll SS #19 Brandon Meriweather WLB #2 Jon Beason MLB #44 Leon Williams SLB #50 Roger McIntoshOther Key Players: DE Calais Campbell, DE Javon Nanton, DT Kareem Brown, LB Romeo Davis, LB Glenn Cook, LB Willie Williams, CB Randy Phillips, CB Devin Hester, SS Greg Threat
Keep your eye on: Jennings, who is expected to play as a rover/spy to contain Marcus Vick. Jennings is not known as a tackler so it would be an interesting role for him.
HURRICANES (30.4 ppg, 10.9 pag) QB Kyle Wright 1383 yards 59% 10 TD 8 INT RB Tyrone Moss 675 yards 5.2 avg 12 TD WR Sinorice Moss 20 receptions 399 yards 3 TD TE Greg Olsen 24 receptions 348 yards 3 TD LB Roger McIntosh 58 tackles, 2 sacks SS Brandon Meriweather 68 tackles, 2 interceptions KR Devin Hester 21.3 KR, 15.2 PR 1 TD K Jon Peattie 9-14 FG 24-25 XP HOKIES (36.8 ppg, 9.1 pag) QB Marcus Vick 1534 yards 69% 11 TD 5 INT, 319 rush RB Mike Imoh 400 yards 4.1 avg 4 TD RB Cedric Humes 365 yards 4.0 avg 5 TD WR David Clowney 22 receptions 433 yards 3 TD LB Vince Hall 70 tackles, 3.5 for loss DE Darryl Tapp 27 tackles, 22 hurries KR Eddie Royal 22.7 KR, 9.1 PR K Brandon Pace 14-17 FG 36-36 XP
When Miami has the ball…
OL Eric Winston vs. DE Darryl Tapp
Winston (6-7/310) is coming off an ACC Offensive Lineman of the Week performance and will have his hands full with Tapp (6-1/265). Winston is the 'Canes leader on offense and will need to have a strong performance to keep Tapp away from Wright and Moss. Tapp leads the Hokie defense with 22 quarterback hurries. Both players are seniors and are looking forward to the big-time matchup.
When Virgnia Tech has the ball…
QB Marcus Vick vs. DT Orien Harris
Earlier in the week, Coker labeled Harris as his best defensive player. Well, here's his chance to prove to everyone he is a big-time player. After underperforming in 2004, Harris has a chance to put his name back on the national map with a strong performance against Vick. Vick is the leading candidate for the ACC Player of the Year and with a few more strong games could vault himself in the Heisman race. Vick
· CB Randy Phillips - Probable, knee
· DE Bryan Pata - Probable, knee
· DE Eric Moncur - Questionable, concussion
· LB Darryl Sharpton - Doubtful, knee
· DT Teraz McCray - Out, ACL
· LB Tavares Gooden - Out for season, shoulder
· FS Anthony Reddick - Out for season, ACL
· CB Glenn Sharpe - Out for season, ACL
· CB Carlos Armour - Out for season, ACL
NEXT GAME - November 12 at Wake Forest
Christopher Stock is a Senior Writer & Assistant Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org