"As you might expect, and you would hope, there was a lot of enthusiasm today. We need to have a great deal of teaching this spring and guys need to listen to what is going on. Today was a great start."
On guys coming together this spring with the coaching staff...
"I don't hope, I expect it to happen and I think part of that has already happened with our 6 a.m. workouts and meetings. I think the gelling process has already started. I don't want to leave spring practices with our guys not really knowing what we are about. We need to develop a personality over the next 14 practices."
OFFENSIVE COORDINATOR RICH OLSON
"We are going to walk before we run, but the players are smart, eager, aggressive, and I can't ask for anything more than that."
"Everyone is starting clean. We have fresh eyes to watch everybody and we are going to put the best players and the playmakers on the field. We are going to find out who those guys are after 15 practices."
· RB Andrew Johnson was one of the offensive players who stood out in today's practice. "I was extremely impressed with Andrew Johnson," said Coker. "Andrew got some extra work in today and really stepped up and had a very impressive day."
· QB Kyle Wright worked on a lot of quick throws in today's practice and the coaches want him to get the ball out of his hand quicker with more three-step drops. "Today felt like baby steps and we were learning some new things," said Wright. "Guys came out with great energy and I can already see a difference between the coaching staff and the players. I think it is going to be a great spring."
· TE Richard Gordon continues to impress and is one of the guys Coker listed as a player he is excited about this spring.
· WR Lance Leggett is expected by Coker to have a strong spring and put his 2005 season behind him. In his two years at Miami he has caught 32 passes for 553 yards (17.6 avg) and six touchdowns.
· S Anthony Reddick will not participate in scrimmages this spring, but is expected to participate in all other drills after suffering a torn ACL in the season opener.
· Practice resumes tomorrow at 3:20 p.m. at the Greentree Practice Fields, but remains closed to the public.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org