"This was our first day of pads and guys were pretty efficient. They really ran around and had some fun. I think that is going to be the key for tomorrow and we are going to scrimmage to finish off the week. I see a lot of guys getting better and I think defeinitely guys are having a lot of fun playing defense."
"Offensively I see a lot of teaching going on and we are getting to be a better football team."
• OL Andrew Bain has been the first-team left guard this spring and has excited his head coach. "I expect him to be very explosive off the football and is very powerful. We need him to reach his potential and he hasn't done that yet. But he is a young player and we need him to step up. Coker also added that he is as strong as anyone on the team and squats 600 pounds.
• FB Jerrell Mabry weighed in at 290 pounds and Coker responded when asked if he was a little overweight, "A little? He is a lot overweight. He knows that and we have talked about that. We just have to work with a nutrionist to get his weight down. There's a few of them that way and it is our responsibility to get it done."
• TE Richard Gordon will play right away and is not expected to redshirt in 2006. He is competing with TE Chris Zellner and TE DajLeon Farr for the second-string tight end spot behind TE Greg Olsen who caught 31 passes last year.
• WR Darnell Jenkins, CB Bruce Johnson, and S Anthony Reddick are the front-runners to be involved in the kick and punt return game. There could be some other players that could get in the mix as well.
• Practice resumes tomorrow at 9:30 a.m. and remains closed to the public.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com