"We did a lot of situations today. It was a full-padded day. We did a lot of short yardage work, 1st-and-10, and third down stuff. Time is running short and we don't have a lot of days left so we have to make we make every one count. I encouraged the guys to take care of themselves."
"I asked everyone out here to raise their hand if they weren't important to the team. Nobody raised their hand so let's be ready to go."
• DT Luqman Abdallah remains the front-runner for the number three defensive tackle position, however DE Baraka Atkins could be moved inside if the coaches do not feel confident Abdallah is ready to play at a high level.
• OL John Rochford has been playing fullback and tight end, which could be a permanent move for him because of his noted athleticism and depth. If he plays FB or TE he would have to switch jersey numbers to follow NCAA rules. If he does make the move, don't expect to be used for anything except blocking.
• DE Teraz McCray is doing "very, very well" this spring and is poised for a breakout season in 2006.
• LB Willie Williams missed his fifth consecutive practice because of illness and has not practiced since a standout performance in a March 25 scrimmage. Although he didn't practice Wednesday, he was in class and did go to the doctor, giving coach Larry Coker reason to be optimistic. "Hopefully we get him back soon," Coker said. "Obviously, he has missed a lot of work, so he is getting behind. Linebacker is a strong position for us."
• The Hurricanes will return to the practice field Friday at 3:20 p.m., but is closed to the public.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at firstname.lastname@example.org