"We were a little nicked up today. We had some starters out--Darnell Jenkins and Ryan Moore and some other guys that didn't play. We had some improvement today and threw the deep ball really well. All in all I think it was a good day."
"Defensively we are very, very fast and we are really shutting down the run. There are some things we need to shore up in the secondary against the passing game, but we did shut down the run pretty nicely."
"Are we ready for Florida State? No. But we have some time and we need some time to play a team like that."
• WR Lance Leggett scored three touchdowns in today's scrimmage. Two were deep passes and one was an inside slant. All three were thrown by QB Kyle Wright. "I have stepped up because of the guys who have been hurt," Leggett said. "You can tell in the last week we have been starting to click on offense." Leggett was one of just two scholarship receivers participating in today's practice. According to Wright, Leggett has been "flying by guys" this spring.
• QB Kyle Wright believes today was one of the best practices of the spring for the offense mainly because of the three touchdowns were scored against the first-team defense. Wright believes the short game implemented by new coordinator Rich Olson will help him with his all-around game. Coker feels he is having a very good spring, which should excited everyone around the program.
• WR Darnell Jenkins is likely out the remainder of spring practices. He was at practice today in a walking boot with crutches. The extent of his ankle injury is not known and he has not received an MRI.
• The defense did a good job of stopping the run as Coker noted strong play from the linebackers.
• TE Greg Olsen had a very strong day catching a number of passes. Olsen is expected to be on the top tight ends in the country this season and constantly receives praise from the coaching staff. TE Richard Gordon also had a nice day.
• LB Jon Beason played the nickel position today, which is not something he normally does. Beason, a former safety, could do well in this position, but one would have to figure the team would rather have one of the three safeties (Meriweather, Phillips, or Reddick) on the field in these situations.
• The offensive line was praised today for playing with a lot of confidence and continuing to learn.
• OL John Rochford did not practice today as he, like Jenkins, was in a walking boot with crutches.
• WR Terrell Walden is ahead of the rehab process compared to when he tore his ACL on the opposite leg. Walden expects to be ready for fall practices as he enters his junior season.
• The Hurricanes will return to the practice field Tuesday at 3:00 p.m., but is closed to the public.
Christopher Stock is a Senior Editor with CanesTime and can be contacted by emailing him at email@example.com