"It was a little bit more physical and little bit more intense. I think we were out here too long today. I think we have to speed things up as coaches and players. Get the same amount of work in, but be a little bit more efficient with our practices."
· RB Javarris James had a productive day today as he practiced with the first unit as Charlie Jones (tweaked hamstring) and Derron Thomas (groin strain) were out with injuries. The coaches hope Jones and Thomas will return tomorrow. Coker also mentioned RB Kylan Robinson did well.
· RBs Charlie Jones and Derron Thomas will play against Florida State according to Coker. To what extent is unknown at this time because it is too early to tell, but Coker did say, "When you get your opportunities you have to make the most of it."
· OL coach Mario Cristobal is confident his offensive line featuring four new starters will be ready for the opener. "I am not worried about us getting the job done," Cristobal said. "If you are coaching it the right way, sometimes it works and sometimes it doesn't, I know it is going to work out. I know these guys are going to get it done. They want it too much. They are gifted and talented, but even if they weren't, when you work that hard something comes out of it."
It makes it easier for the offense knowing that they are confident in the defense having a good season. "The fortunate part is that if our defense wasn't real good, then it would be a tremendous concern and these guys are pretty good," Cristobal said.
· RB Tyrone Moss has caught two passes in his career at UM while having 346 carries. When offensive coordinator Rich Olson was informed of Moss's receiving numbers, he said, "That's over with" and said Moss better be in double figures this year.
· QB Kyle Wright has done a better job of throwing the ball away according to Olson.
· WRs Khalil Jones, Terrell Walden, and Sam Shields are in a battle for the fourth receiver spot on the team. With Ryan Moore out for the first two games it is even more imperative that someone emerges from this group. "They just need to step up and make plays," Coker said. "They are going to have plenty of opportunities this August to show us what they are all about. They just need to step up and get it done."
· WR Sam Shields scored another touchdown in today's practice on a slant route. This is the third straight day Shields has scored a touchdown.
· LB Jon Beason has been giving the offense the hardest troubles accoring to Olson. Beason appears on his way to All-ACC status this year after posting 66 tackles in 2005.
· CB Glenn Sharpe is being held back some this fall, but is doing a good job thus far.
· CB Randy Phillips had a good day according to Coker and is the favorite to start at right cornerback with Sharpe at left cornerback.
· CB Carlos Armour is bothered by a hamstring injury.
· OL A.J. Trump is a "natural" at center according to Coker, but has not decided whether or not he will play center or guard. Alex Pou could play guard while Trump stays at center.
Christopher Stock can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org