"This was our first practice in full pads. We were in shells yesterday. We got some good things done today. We are playing fast on defense. Asa I told our team, we are going to be a little bit tired late in practice. That's when we really have to press on and press through. I think we have a chance to be a good football team, but wea are a long ways away. We have a lot of work to do. I am excited about what I have seen so far."
"The coaches have done a great job of teaching the players and really motivating them. I see a lot of good things happening."
· RB Derron Thomas returned to practice today after missing the last two days due to a groin injury. "I was really impressed with Derron's pass protection today," Coker said.
· RB Charlie Jones suited up, but did not practice due to his hamstring injury. "He is not ready to go, we don't want to set him back," Coker said.
· Although the team practice in full pads, they were not allowed to go full-speed like they typically do with full pads. Coker held them back as if they were in shells.
· LB Tavares Gooden worked with the first-team for the second straight practice. They had been rotating him and Romeo Davis with the 1's every other day. Gooden, a strongside linebacker, was with WLB Jon Beason and MLB Glenn Cook.
· The linebacker depth chart is as follows:
1st: WLB Beason, MLB Cook, SLB Gooden
2nd: WLB Adkins, MLB Sharpton, SLB Davis
3rd: WLB Houston/Stewart, MLB Bryant, SLB McCarthy
· P/WR Brian Monroe has a "legitimate" chance to play wide receiver this year. "He has some playmaking abilities," Coker said. When watching Monroe play receiver, you would not know he was punter unless you were told. He's always been very fluid in his breaks and cuts as well as catching the ball. He can be a weapon there if Coker decides to go that route. Newcomer Daren Daly is an option at punter if they wanted Monroe to focus on receiver full-time.
· QB Kirby Freeman has done a good job this week according to Coker. "I think we have two really good quarterbacks," Coker said. Freeman, who has dealt with heat exhaustion in the past, has been doing well with it thus far although he did feel like he lost 10 pounds yesterday.
· The season opener against Florida State is still weeks away and Coker does not anticipate sorting out position battles until 10 days prior to the game, which would be on August 25.
· The team has not scrimmaged yet and is not scheduled to scrimmage until Tuesday, August 15.
· DT Teraz McCray had a good day today and is expected to be a vital asset in the 3-man tackle rotation for the FSU game.
· DT Chaz Washington practiced today and showed Coker some good things today as a young player. It appears Washington is on his way to redshirting this season barring injuries considering that there are at least seven tackles ahead of him on the depth chart.
· DTs Kareem Brown (illness) and Bryan Pata (leg) practiced today.
· Former Hurricane WR Sinorice Moss will appear as a bartender on the TV show, General Hospital, today at 3 pm on ABC.
Christopher Stock can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org