Practice Photo Gallery
""We went in full pads today and really had a good goal-line and short-yardage scrimmage. We needed that. It is hard to do it as a head coach because you have a lot of bodies piled up, it is always a concern, but the guys handled it well. As a head coach you liked it because there was some success on both sides of the ball. We'll have some good video to look at. Of course this is a two-a-day practice and we will be back in the afternoon."
"We had a good day today. There was some good contact and we saw some really good things out of our offense today. Guys were running around and making plays. It's getting better and better."
· QB Kyle Wright continues to develop as he prepares for his junior season. "He is doing very well," Coker said. "He is running the offense and using the receivers more much like Dorsey did. He is doing a good job of spreading the ball around more." Coker has been stressing completions this fall as opposed to getting the big play. He reminded reporters that Sinorice Moss took a screen pass 90+ yards last year and that is what Kyle will need to do this year because of the playmakers on offense. Wright believes the afternoon practice was the best the offense had looked this fall.
· When Coker was asked about the red-zone approach this year compared to last year, he said it will be a different approach. "We are going have a totally different approach. We are going to score." Good to hear the head coach confident in the offense. Protection will be the key for the offense, but playmakers have to step up in that time.
· The select-a-seat even on Aug. 22 at the Orange Bowl will be open to the public as the team practices at 7 p.m. Fans will get to see a practice and have some sort of a scrimmage.
· RBs Javarris James and Kylan Robinson have benefitted tremendously with getting reps on the first unit because the running holes are opened up and blitzes are taken care of. Whereas Andrew Johnson is getting blown up on the third team because the offensive line is not as advanced.
· WR Darnell Jenkins has been a bit bothered with a hamstring injury and has been limited in practice. In the morning, he did everything.
· RBs Charlie Jones (hamstring) and Derron Thomas (groin and hip flexor) were limited again.
· OL Derrick Morse is looking great according to Coker. Morse, a right guard, is a junior who has played in 17 games in his first two seasons. He is espcecially strong in the running game with his aggressiveness.
· FB Jerrell Mabry is getting work in as a tight end in the new system. Mabry can also be an H-Back depending on the play.
· Former UM linebacker Willie Williams will not be headed to Pearl River Community College after the school reversed its decision. Coker was asked if he will be allowed to return to UM and he responded: "That is not an option. He's not coming back here. Willie has decided to go another direction and as I have said, I wish him the best. If he wants to talk, then we'll talk. But that's not the case and I don't anticipate Willie Williams being a part of this team."
· The team resumes practice in the afternoon.
Christopher Stock can be reached at email@example.com