"We had a lot of special teams work today and we got in a little scrimmage at the end. There was a lot of fun and enthusiasm and it was a good way to end the day."
On the speaker that addressed the team...
"A gentleman by the name of Cleb McCleary. He has been hired by the Tennessee Titans to speak and he is going to speak to our team today. He has spoken here before and he is a great individual. He is a war veteran and is a tremendous inspiration."
• DT Teraz McCray is the first-team right defensive tackle in favor of Kareem Brown. McCray started his first game of his career against Louisville replacing Bryan Pata, who missed a meeting. But now McCray is with the first-team.
• FB James Bryant is ready to help as much as he can at his new position. Coker said: "He is not bad. He had a good start and he is really into the position. He wants to play awfully bad and desire means a lot. Hopefully he can keep being aggressive because I think he can help us there. His passion, energy, and effort. He is a very good athlete and very strong. He can catch the ball and he can block."
• MLBs Romeo Davis and Glenn Cook are in a battle for the starting spot. Cook is second amongst linebackers with 8 tackles. Davis is third with 6. Coker on the battle: "It is Cook and Romeo—all those guys are going to get some work there. But also, I have been really impressed with Sharpton, he is really starting to come along."
• K Jon Peattie is still the team's kicker although Coker is not pleased with his 0-for-2 performance last game. If there would be a change, it would likely be K Francesco Zampogna as opposed to freshman K Matt Bosher, who Coker would like to redshirt this year.
• OL Reggie Youngblood is expected to be able to play against Houston on Sept. 30. Youngblood started against Florida State in the season opener, but has missed the last two games due to a sprained ankle. "It's night and day from where it was," Youngblood said. "Most likely I will be playing against Houston."
• OL Tyrone Byrd is also expecting to be ready to play in the Houston game. Both Byrd and Youngblood are from Texas and know players on the Houston team.
Christopher Stock can be reached at email@example.com