OFFENSIVE NOTES• It has been reported that WR Darnell Jenkins will miss the remainder of the season (knee surgery). Here is what Coker said following Wednesday's practice: "He looks a lot better and his prognosis is better. He may not need the surgery."
• TE Chris Zellner has missed the last two games (ankle sprain) and appears to still be a week away. "He's practiced some, he might be ready," Coker said. "Hopefully, if not this week, then for next week against Duke." Coker lists Zellner as questionable.
• RB Tyrone Moss continues to make a lot of progress this week. Look for Moss to play against FIU and don't be surprised if he gets the carries he needs to have a productive game. Coker seems to have been very pleased with his progress this week, which is encouraging for the senior tailback who has not played in the last two games.
• LT Reggie Youngblood is ready for the matchup against FIU DE Antwan Barnes, who comes into the game with 12 tackles for a loss and 5 sacks. Barnes is a senior from Miami Norland.
DEFENSIVE NOTES• LB Darryl Sharpton has not received the playing time he was expected to this year. "We are good at linebacker," Coker said of the reason. "He hasn't played a lot. He has played a lot on special teams and a lot in special situations, but we have been really pleased with our linebacker corps. We are deep there and he is waiting his turn. He is a redshirt freshman so he has a lot of time to work."
• LBs Colin McCarthy and Spencer Adkins are patiently waiting for their opportunities. Both players have primarily played special teams this year. McCarthy is currently playing weakside with Adkins at strongside. The two switched shortly after the FSU game.
OTHER NOTES• Ryan Hill has been elevated as a kickoff returner alongside Bruce Johnson. Hill also serves as the back-up punt returner to Johnson. The longest kickoff return by UM this season has been 26 yards and the longest punt return has been 15 yards.
• Pete Garcia was at UM today despite accepting the athletic director position at FIU. Garcia will start at FIU on Monday.
Christopher Stock can be reached at email@example.com