Friday, November 3rdTOP PERFORMERS
SS Ryan Jackson: 3-for-5, two runs, and a stolen base
OF Nick Freitas: 1-for-4, one home run, two runs, two RBI, one walk
3B Gus Menendez: 2-for-3, double off left field wall, one RBI, one walk
LHP Scott Maine: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 1 strikeout, 3 hits, 2 hit batters.
Fastball = 94 MPH
LHP Manny Miguelez: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 6 strikeouts, 1 walk, 1 hit.
Fastball = 92 MPH
RHP Jason Santana: 3 innings pitched, 2 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts, 3 walks, 5 hits
Fastball = 86 MPH
RHP Enrique Garcia: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 4 strikeouts, 4 hits
Fastball = 92 MPH
RHP Raudel Alfonso: 1 inning pitched, 2 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts, 2 hits, 1 hit batter.
Saturday, November 4thTOP PERFORMERS
C Richard O'Brien: 3-for-4, two doubles, two RBI, one run
CF Blake Tekotte: 2-for-4, two doubles, one run
OF Nick Freitas: 1-for-2, two walks, two runs, two stolen bases
OF Kevin Diego: 2-for-4, one RBI
LHP Teddy Kaufman: 3 innings pitched, 2 runs allowed, 3 hits, 5 strikeouts.
Fastball = 82 MPH
RHP Alex Koronis: 3 innings pitched, 1 run allowed, 3 hits, 2 strikeouts, 5 walks
Fastball = 93 MPH
LHP Eric Erickson: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts, 6 hits.
Fastball = 86 MPH
RHP Michael Rudman: 1 run allowed, 1 hit, 7 strikeouts, 2 walks
Fastball = 87 MPH
News and Notes
• RHP Danny Gil has been suspended from the team this fall, but is taking classes and will be back in the spring. Coach Jim Morris expects Gil to be the team's No. 2 starter this season.
• The most impressive freshman in the first two days of practice has been SS Ryan Jackson. Jackson, 6-foot-1, 170 pounds from Florida Christian High School, has a great defensive presence; every ball is fielded cleanly and every throw on target. Most impressive about Jackson has been his ability to sneak up behind runners as they lead off second base for the pickoff. Jackson already combine for two pickoffs.
• LHP Manny Miguelez looked dominant during his three innings Friday afternoon. Miguelez worked the inside corner of the plate nicely versus right handed batters. In his final two innings of work, Miguelez did not allow 10 batters to reach base.
• Freshman RHP Alex Koronis has great stuff. Koronis features a fastball that touches 93 MPH, a slider at 88 MPH, and a 77 MPH breaking ball.
• 1B Yonder Alonso is receiving some work at third base this fall. Alonso said he feels quicker this fall after losing 15 pounds since August. Alonso has made some impressive stops at third base, but needs to be more accurate on his throws.
• Alonso and CF Blake Tekotte both played in the Valley League this summer. Alonso was rated the best prospect in the league, while Tekotte rated the second best prospect. Tekotte said he wanted to work on hitting the ball to all fields and he displayed this ability Saturday hitting an opposite field double to left field and the next time at bat pulling the ball to right field for another double.
• C Richard O'Brien is making the best case to be the starting catcher this season. O'Brien has been pulling the ball particularly well this fall with two doubles to left field. O'Brien is also much more polished defensively over freshman Cs Jason Hagerty and Ben Vazquez. As a senior, O'Brien is also recognized as one of the leaders on the team.
• Freshman RHP Michael Rudman has a great breaking ball that gives hitters problems. At 5-foot-9, 160 pounds, Rudman can still get good velocity on the ball with a fastball at 87 MPH. He has a slider that hits 80 MPH and a breaking ball that is at 69 MPH. Rudman keeps hitters off balance by changing the speed of his pitches well.
• 2B Jemile Weeks is day-to-day with a groin injury. If this was the season, Weeks would be playing, but he wants to take time to heal the injury. He expects to be back halfway through fall ball.
• RHP Carlos Gutierrez will miss the 2007 season, but is at practice and doing some throwing.
David Lake can be reached at email@example.com