Sunday, November 5thTop Performers
SS Roger Tomas: 2-for-4, one run
3B Gus Menendez: 2-for-4
1B Chris Petralli: 2-for-3, one double off left-centerfield wall, one walk
1B Yonder Alonso: 2-for-3, one run, one double, one walk.
OF Kevin Diego: 2-for-4, two RBI
RHP Anthony Perez: 3 innings pitched, 1 run allowed, 3 strikeouts, 3 walks, 2 hits, 1 hit batter.
Fastball = 89 MPH
RHP Anthony Nalepa: 3 innings pitched, 2 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts, 2 walks, 3 hits, 1 hit batter.
Fastball = 91 MPH
RHP John Housey: 3 innings pitched, 1 run allowed, 5 strikeouts, 5 hits, 2 walks.
Fastball = 88 MPH
RHP Kyle Bellamy: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 6 strikeouts, 3 hits, 0 walks.
Fastball = 84 MPH
News and Notes• Freshman RHP Kyle Bellamy looks like he could be a valuable member of the bullpen for UM in 2007. At 6-foot-4, 220 pounds, Bellamy has a low, sidearm delivery that is particularly difficult for right hand batters. Bellamy has good control, hitting the corners on both sides of the plate and not walking a single batter.
• OFs Blake Tekotte and Nick Freitas have both shown good range in centerfield. The wind has been swirling with at about 15 MPH today and yesterday and the centerfielders have tracked down all balls hit to them. Freitas particularly made a nice running catch today, tracking down a ball in left centerfield that was slicing away from centerfield. If the season were to start today, Tekotte would start in centerfield and Freitas would most likely start in left field.
• Freshman 3B Mark Sobolewski was hit by a wild pitch in the third inning today from Nalepa that ricocheted off his helmet and hit his cheek. Sobolewski's cheek was swollen and he did not return.
• Sobolewski did have two nice double plays before he left the scrimmage—one at second base and one at third. On each play he fielded the ball, ran to the base for the force out and threw the ball to first to beat the runner.
• RHP Anthony Perez used a nice 75 MPH breaking ball to set up his fastball. Perez allowed only two of the last ten batters he faced to reach base.
• With Tekotte, Freitas, Sobolewski, Jemile Weeks, Ryan Jackson, and Roger Tomas UM will have great speed on the basepath.
David Lake can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org