NEWS & NOTES• Freshman SG James Dews came off the bench to score 10 points providing a big time spark off the bench. He hit all three of his three-point shot attempts and is someone that will clearly be counted on off the bench this year.
• PF Jimmy Graham was very quick up and down the floor beating defenders to the basket and finished with a team high 14 points and 3 rebounds in just 16 minutes. The biggest difference between this year and last year he said is that he is in shape.
• PF Dwayne Collins had a put back dunk that got the crowd very excited. He showed the flashes of athleticism that have people very excited about his potential.
• SG Jack McClinton has no fear. He finished with 13 points and was 3 for 4 from three-point range. His three-pointer at the end of the first half was a thing of beauty as he broke down to defenders and hit the pull up three to end the half.
• PF Ray Hicks didn't start, but he provided a big spark off the bench. He was 4 for 4 from the field and had 8 points.
• PG Denis Clemente came off the bench to lead the team with seven assists. He also had five turnovers, a number he has to limit, but when he came into the game in the first half, the ‘Canes pulled away. He also had eight points.
• PG Anthony Harris started at point guard and had a 3 to 1 assist to turnover ratio something that will keep UM coach Frank Haith smiling. He had six assists and two turnovers, but his shot was off as he went 1 for 6 from the field. Harris hit all six of his free throws though to finish with eight points.
• PF Fabio Nass played well off the bench scoring six points, grabbing six rebounds and blocking a shot.
• SF Brian Asbury didn't show the hesitation he had last season as a freshman. He only took four shots and finished with seven points, but he drained both of his three-point shots.
• After allowing 30 points in the first half, the ‘Canes defense stepped up in the second half limiting the Seahawks to only 24 points on 26 percent shooting.
Rudy Rodriguez-Chomat can be reached at email@example.com