Tuesday, November 7thTop Performers
1B Yonder Alonso: 3-for-4, one walk, one home run.
SS Roger Tomas: 2-for-5, one home run, one double
3B Gus Menendez: 3-for-3, one walk, one run
C Richard O'Brien: 2-for-3, one RBI, one double
1B Chris Petralli: 2-for-3, one walk
OF Nick Freitas: 1-for-5, one home run, two RBI
LHP Scott Maine: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 5 hits, 3 strikeouts, 1 walk, 1 hit batter.
Fastball = 92 MPH
LHP Manny Miguelez: 3 innings pitched, 0 runs allowed, 1 hit, 2 strikeouts, 3walks.
Fastball = 92 MPH
RHP Jason Santana: 3 innings pitched, 3 runs allowed, 6 hits, 5 strikeouts, 1 walk
Fastball = 88 MPH
RHP Enrique Garcia: 3 innings pitched, 2 runs allowed, 2 strikeouts, 6 hits, 3 walks.
Fastball = 91 MPH
RHP Raudel Alfonso: 1 inning pitched, 1 run allowed, 2 hits, 1 strikeout.
News and Notes• LHP Manny Miguelez looks like he is ready to have a dominant season in 2007. Miguelez only allowed one hit from the 15 batters he faced. Along with a 91-92 MPH fastball, Miguelez throws an 80 MPH changeup and a 72 MPH curveball that has a sharp bite to it. He keeps the batters off-balance and gets a lot of ground ball outs.
• 1B Yonder Alonso continued his hot hitting Tuesday. Alonso is hitting well to all fields, hitting a single up the middle of the defense in his first at bat, then later in the game, hitting an opposite field homerun to left field and in the next at bat pulling the ball to right field for a single.
• 3B Gus Menendez continues to be the most consistent hitter for UM this fall, reaching base each time he came to the plate Tuesday.
• SS Roger Tomas showed some power Tuesday, hitting a homerun over the right-centerfield wall. Tomas did not hit a homerun during the 2006 season.
• 1B Chris Petralli continues to make a strong case to be this year's designated hitter. Petralli seems to always find a way to get on base.
• OF Nick Freitas currently leads the team with two homeruns this fall.
• The X-Ray results of freshman 3B Mark Sobolewski showed he does not have any fractures or breaks after a wild pitch ricocheted his helmet into his eye/cheek area. Sobolewski's eye area is considerably swollen and bruised.
• Roughly 10 Major League Baseball scouts were in the stands to watch the Maine-Miguelez pitching duel.
David Lake can be reached at email@example.com