Coach Randy Shannon was pleased with today's effort and intensity while praising the offense.
"The offense moved the ball and we did some nice things on offense, which was exciting," Shannon said. "They executed and they made a lot of plays. The offense stepped up today."
• WR Lance Leggett made a nice play today and good break on the ball according to Shannon.
• OL Jason Fox is out of his boot today, but is still a good two weeks away of rehab and is still unlikely to participate in spring practices.
• RB Graig Cooper is "doing a nice job" according to Shannon. Shannon noted Cooper's maturity for having gone to a prep school for a semester before attending UM. Cooper is trying to fit in a crowded backfield, but could do so considering Javarris James is the only back that has produced consistently throughout his career. Shannon is looking to travel just three backs unless some play on special teams. Cooper could be used in the return game.
• K Matt Bosher could be the team's punter as well if P Daren Daly is not up to the task. Shannon would prefer Bosher work on just kicking, but said he will put the best guy out there regardless.
• CB Glenn Sharpe (ankle) and OL Derrick Morse (knee) did not practice. Their injuries are not expected to be serious although one must always worry about Sharpe considering his injury problems in the past.
• CB Doug Wiggins has been working out only at the nickel position. Defensive backs coach Wesley McGriff wants Wiggins to learn one position well before teaching up the other spots in the secondary.
• QB Robert Marve, a 2006 signee from Tampa, was at practice today and worked on his drops by himself after practice in UM gear.
SCRIMMAGE ON SATURDAY
UM will hold an open scrimmage on Saturday at 10 a.m. It will be the first time this spring a practice will be open to the public.
"It is just an initial scrimmage to see who can execute what we have been doing this week," Shannon said. "We've got to treat it like a game plan situation and preparing all week for an opponent."
Christopher Stock can be reached at firstname.lastname@example.org