In the morning session, the defense played well in red zone drills and Javarris James led a strong showing by the running backs in 11-on-11 work. In the afternoon, James continued his strong play with a couple big runs to go along with interceptions by Sam Shields and Vaughn Telemaque on the defensive end.
The team continues to focus on kickoff coverage, in addition to the usual work in 11-on-11, 7-on-7 and positional drills.
After five practices in three days, the `Canes will take the day off on Thursday before holding a closed scrimmage on Friday.
Morning Practice Highlights - (shells)
• Randy Phillips stood out defensively, recording a sack and pass deflection in 11-on-11 play.
• Javarris James had a rush and a reception of over 20 yards in 11-on-11 play.
• Lee Chambers had a few runs of 10-15 yards in run drills and in 11-on-11 action.
Afternoon Practice Highlights - (shells)
• Javarris James had runs of approximately 65 and 30 yards in 11-on-11 drills.
• Sam Shields recorded an interception in 7-on-7 play.
• Vaughn Telemaque picked off a pass in the end zone during two-minute drills.
• Wednesday marked the team's 10th day of camp and 12th and 13th practice sessions.
• The morning session (shells) lasted approximately two hours, with overcast skies and temperatures in the lower 80's.
• The afternoon session (shells) lasted approximately an hour-and-a-half with sunny skies and temperatures in the mid 80's.
• The `Canes will take the day off on Thursday before holding a closed scrimmage on Friday.
• Running back Graig Cooper (lower leg) returned to practice Wednesday in a limited role.
• The Hurricanes' season-opener at Florida State on Monday, Sept. 7 is 19 days away.
Hurricane Hotline Set to Kick off Tomorrow
Hurricane Hotline is set to debut tomorrow, Aug. 20 on WQAM 560. The weekly two-hour show hosted by Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey will air from 7-9 p.m. from The Sports Exchange (45 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 33134; Phone: 305-774-1222). Hurricane Hotline features interviews with UM head football coach Randy Shannon, players, coaches and other UM personnel as well as other featured guests. Fans are encouraged to listen on WQAM 560 or view the show in-person at The Sports Exchange every Thursday night except the night of the Georgia Tech football game.
Miami will hold approximately 18 workouts prior to the first day of class on Aug 26. Thirteen of those workouts have been completed. The Hurricanes open the season on Labor Day Monday Night at rival No. 19 Florida State. Hurricanes' practices will start at 8 a.m. daily, with the exception of off-days on Aug. 14, 16, 20 and 22. UM's final two-a-day practice is slated for Sunday, Aug. 23. The schedule is subject to change.
Miami has already has been selected for three national television appearances, beginning with the Sept. 7 opener at Florida State (ESPN). Additional games chosen for national telecasts are the Hurricanes' home opener against Georgia Tech on Thurs. Sept. 17 (ESPN). Miami's game at UCF will air on CBS College Sports at 7:30 p.m. on Sat. Oct. 17.
For `Canes Tickets
Single-game tickets for University of Miami home football games are on sale. Ticket prices for all games begin at $19 and can be purchased via www.HurricaneSports.com, www.ticketmaster.com or at the Miami Hurricanes Ticket Office located at the Hecht Athletic Center on campus or by calling (305) 284-2263. Hours of operation for the ticket office is 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Individual game tickets are also available at Ticketmaster outlets including select F.Y.E. and select Simon Malls, The Mall at Wellington Green and Dolphin Mall. To charge your individual game tickets by phone, call 1-800-745-3000. Individual game tickets will be available on the 100 Level, Club Level and 400 Level of the stadium. The best way to guarantee tickets to all Miami Hurricanes home games at Land Shark Stadium is to become a season ticket holder, Club Level member or Executive Suite member. To purchase season tickets starting as low as $99, Club Level or Executive Suite Memberships, call 1-800-GO-CANES or purchase your seats on-line at www.HurricaneSports.com.