A.J. Highsmith was among the offensive standouts on Sunday, with a pair of deep connections with Tommy Streeter (11-on-11) and LaRon Byrd (7-on-7). On the defensive end, Sam Shields, Chavez Grant, Randy Phillips and C.J. Holton recorded interceptions Sunday, while Micanor Regis, Joe Joseph and Marcus Robinson each picked up a sack.
The `Canes will hold their 17th practice of fall camp Monday morning.
Morning Practice Highlights - (pads)
• Joe Joseph and Marcus Robinson each had a sack in 11-on-11 drills.
• Randy Phillips (INT, pass break-up) and DeMarcus Van Dyke (two pass break-ups) stood out in the secondary.
• Javarris James caught several passes in both 11-on-11 and 7-on-7 sessions.
Afternoon Practice Highlights - (shells)
• Sam Shields (red zone), Chavez Grant (7-on-7) and C.J. Holton (11-on-11) all recorded interceptions. Grant returned his for a touchdown while Holton caught his off a tipped pass.
• A.J. Highsmith connected with Tommy Streeter (11-on-11) and LaRon Byrd (7-on-7) for significant yardage.
• Damien Berry took a short pass in the flat from Taylor Cook for a long gain.
• Other highlights include a near interception by Randy Phillips, a pass break-up by Ramon Buchanan and a sack by Micanor Regis.
• Sunday marked the team's 12th day of camp and 15th and 16th practice sessions.
• The morning session (pads) lasted approximately two hours, with cloudy skies, a few rain showers and temperatures in the lower 80's.
• The afternoon session (shells) lasted approximately two hours, with partly cloudy skies and temperatures in the lower 80's.
• Miami's 2009 freshmen class only saw limited action in the afternoon session Sunday. The freshmen were taking part in orientation activities.
• Former UM offensive lineman Alex Pou (2003-06) attended Sunday afternoon's practice • The `Canes will return to practice Monday morning.
• The Hurricanes' season-opener at Florida State on Monday, Sept. 7 is 15 days away.
Miami will hold approximately 18 workouts prior to the first day of class on Aug. 26. Sixteen of those workouts have been completed. The Hurricanes open the season on Labor Day Monday Night at rival No. 19 Florida State.
Miami has already has been selected for three national television appearances, beginning with the Sept. 7 opener at Florida State (ESPN). Additional games chosen for national telecasts are the Hurricanes' home opener against Georgia Tech on Thurs. Sept. 17 (ESPN). Miami's game at UCF will air on CBS College Sports at 7:30 p.m. on Sat. Oct. 17.
Hurricane Hotline on 560 WQAM
Hurricane Hotline made its debut last Thursday on 560 WQAM. The weekly two-hour show hosted by Joe Zagacki and Don Bailey, Jr. will air from 7-9 p.m. every Thursday night from The Sports Exchange (45 Miracle Mile, Coral Gables, Fla. 33134; Phone: 305-774-1222). Hurricane Hotline features interviews with UM head football coach Randy Shannon, players, coaches and other UM personnel as well as other featured guests. Fans are encouraged to listen on 560 WQAM or view the show in-person at The Sports Exchange every Thursday night except the night of the Georgia Tech football game.
For `Canes Tickets
Single-game tickets for University of Miami home football games are on sale. Ticket prices for all games begin at $19 and can be purchased via www.HurricaneSports.com, www.ticketmaster.com or at the Miami Hurricanes Ticket Office located at the Hecht Athletic Center on campus or by calling (305) 284-2263. Hours of operation for the ticket office is 8:30 a.m. to 5 p.m. Monday-Friday. Individual game tickets are also available at Ticketmaster outlets including select F.Y.E. and select Simon Malls, The Mall at Wellington Green and Dolphin Mall. To charge your individual game tickets by phone, call 1-800-745-3000. Individual game tickets will be available on the 100 Level, Club Level and 400 Level of the stadium. The best way to guarantee tickets to all Miami Hurricanes home games at Land Shark Stadium is to become a season ticket holder, Club Level member or Executive Suite member. To purchase season tickets starting as low as $99, Club Level or Executive Suite Memberships, call 1-800-GO-CANES or purchase your seats on-line at www.HurricaneSports.com.