Lakota West Soph Ready For State Run

Monty Boykins (6'3", 165 lbs), although only a sophomore, is the leading scorer on his high school team and second highest scorer in the powerful GMC conference behind Middletown's Geovonie McKnight. The Lakota West standout from West Chester, Ohio now focuses on putting that scoring to good use in a state tournament run.

Monty Boykins (6'3", 165 lbs), although only a sophomore, is the leading scorer on his high school team and second highest scorer in the powerful GMC conference behind Middletown's Geovonie McKnight. The Lakota West standout from West Chester, Ohio now focuses on putting that scoring to good use in a state tournament run.

He credits his 13.5ppg to his teammates passing and setting screens for him. He is shooting 35% overall, 28% from the arc, and 63% from the line.

Boykins said, "We have done pretty well. We have been up and down. We beat Middletown.. Injuries have kept us from winning more." He added, "We can make a run in the tournament. We are just as good as anyone."

Lakota West finished 8-12 overall and 5-9 in the GMC. West will open the tournament at Mason High School vs. Kings at 5:00pm this Saturday, February 26th.

Boykins admits his game is still a work in progress. "I am doing a lot better working on defense," he said. "In rebounding I am getting some nice boards. Offensively I am getting to the basket more."

Last summer, Boykins told R.I. he can play either guard position. He described himself as a "shooter with a pull up ‘J'." He added, "I can take the ball to the basket. I can dribble too." He excels at coming off screens and hitting midrange jumpers.

He said then his weaknesses are his quickness, especially on defense, and overall strength.

This summer, Boykins again plans to play AAU ball with the Cincinnati Lakers. Last year at nationals, the Lakers finished 5th.

Boykins is getting the most college interest from Miami-OH and Xavier. In the past, Boykins noted that Notre Dame, Villanova, and Dayton had shown interest. He has attended camps at Miami and Cincinnati. He said he "most definitely will" attend Miami's Elite Camp again this summer.

There are no schools that he would consider a "leader," but he has taken notice of who has been following him. Boykins said he was invited by Xavier to take in a game recently. He has seen Miami assistant coaches, notably Miami assistant Jimmy Lallathin, at his games.

Last summer, when asked about Miami, Boykins said, "I like the camps and the coaching staff. They are really nice. It looks like a great place to go."

Stay tuned to RedHawk Insider as we follow Monty Boykins in the future.

Follow T. Tod Mollaun on twitter at http://www.twitter.com/mollautt


RedHawk Insider Top Stories