Michigan State beats Michigan 3-0 on Friday and ties them 2-2 on Saturday!

Michigan State beats Michigan 3-0 on Friday and ties them 2-2 on Saturday!

Here is the complete story from our good buddy and MSU Hockey SID Jeff Barnes:

Spartans Play Wolverines to 2-2 Tie

Michigan wins the shootout to earn the extra point in the conference standings.


EAST LANSING – A night after a shut out road victory, the Michigan State hockey team played Michigan to a 2-2 tie Saturday night at a sold out Munn Ice Arena. Following a scoreless overtime, the Wolverines scored the lone goal of the shootout to pick up the extra point in the Big Ten standings.


Trailing 2-1 entering the third period, Patrick Khodorenko scored with 9:20 to go to tie the game for the Spartans (5-15-2, 1-6-1). MSU had a power play in the 5-minute overtime session, but could not come up with the tie-breaking goal.


“I thought it was a good hockey game,” MSU head coach Tom Anastos said. “We certainly would have liked to have finished some of our chances tonight. I liked how we fought back after falling behind. You hate to lose a shootout, but I thought Ed Minney had a real good weekend and played really well.”


With Michigan (8-12-2, 1-6-1-1) leading 2-1 near the midway point of the third period, the Spartans got their fourth power play of the game and a deflected puck off a backhander in front found its way into the net to knot the game, 2-2.


Taro Hirose send the puck toward the net from the point where Sam Sailba knocked it down and backhanded it toward the net from the slot. Khodorenko got his stick on the fluttering puck, deflecting it over the glove of U-M goaltender Zach Nagelvoort to make it 2-2.


The Spartans had the only three shots of overtime and with noting settled, the game ended as a tie.


Cooper Marody scored on the final shot of the three-round shootout to give the Wolverines the extra point in the Big Ten standings.   


The Wolverines took a 1-0 lead 6:23 into the first, scoring seconds after a Spartan penalty expired as Nolan DeJong let a shot go from blue line that found its way into the net with 13:39 to play in the period.



A night after Chris Knudson got his first goal of the season, Dylan Pavelek got his first, tying the game with 9:34 to play in the opening period.


Hard work by Saliba in the right corner started the play as he dug out the puck and got it to Logan Lambdin, who made a move toward the net. Lambdin got to the edge of the crease and found Pavelek in front, who flicked the puck past Nagelvoort to make it 1-1.


The Spartans outshot Michigan, 9-4, in the first and had several quality chances to take the lead in a back-and-forth second period. However, the Wolverines broke the tie with 7:27 to play in the period when Alex Kile deflected Sam Piazza’s point shot past Minney to give U-M the lead, 2-1.


MSU finished the game with a 27-25 edge in shots in goal and went 1-for-5 on the power play while holding Michigan to 0-for-3 on the man advantage.


Saliba’s two assists pushed his point streak to three games.


The Spartans are off next weekend and return to action at Munn Feb. 3-4 vs. Wisconsin.

Spartan Nation Top Stories