Embattled Michigan State Linebacker Jon Reschke will Transfer
Michigan State linebacker Jon Reschke will transfer from the Spartans to complete his college football eligibility. He made that public today by issuing a statement to Spartan Nation via email in which he said the following:
"Over a month ago, in an argument and a brief moment of anger, I lost control of my emotions and made an insensitive and totally regrettable comment involving a former teammate. In so doing, I have hurt and offended countless number of people, and for that, I am deeply sorry. If I could take my comment back, I would do so in a second.
I have addressed my teammates and coaches and while many understand my actions were totally uncharacteristic of who I am, the hurt still lingers. Therefore, after discussions with coach Dantonio and other members of the staff, we have mutually decided that I will complete my degree and seek the opportunity of a graduate transfer for my final year of football.
To the entire Spartan Nation, to all of my teammates past and present, to coach Dantonio and the entire coaching staff, to all the trainers, managers and administrators - I offer my sincere apology and I thank you for the greatest four years of my life. I will always cherish the friendships, the memories and the journey. There is no doubt in my mind that the Spartan Dawgs will rise up and again return to being one of the strongest programs in college football. Forever Go Green, God Bless"
Spartan Nation was well aware of the indiscretion of the young man shortly after it happened. That is why we reported that he would not be part of spring football for the Spartans. Spartan Nation was also told by two Michigan State employees that while Reschke was suspended for spring, they expected him to return to the team in the fall. That is why Spartan Nation when asked if we thought he would return for the fall said, “Yes.”
While Mark Dantonio was on vacation in Costa Rica on a Friday earlier this month (Believe but not confirmed 2/10), the Spartan players had a player’s only meeting in which the Reschke situation was the topic of the discussion. One player who was in the meeting described it as, “Brutal” and “Tough” later that evening. A mother of a current player contacted Spartan Nation and called her son’s recollection to her of the meeting as, “Very concerning.”
While several people have implied that Reschke was voted off the team by his teammates, Spartan Nation can report that is TOTALLY FALSE. Sources inside the team and the athletic department have confirmed that, “Anyone saying this was voted on and decided by the team is completely wrong.”
Mark Dantonio has no scheduled press conferences planned in which he can be asked about this and other situations currently related to his team on and off the field. The Spartans open spring football tomorrow.