Meet the 2003 MSU Football Signing Class
Delton Ashburn DB 511", 181 lbs. Hampton, Va. (Fork Union Military Academy)
- Earned first-team all-state honors in 2002 as a defensive back and kick return in the Virginia Independent School Football Association.
- Recorded 37 tackles, three interceptions as a senior helping Fork Union to a state title. He also rushed for 250 yards on 26 carries, scoring five times and returned two kicks for touchdowns
John L. Smith on Ashburn:
"Delton is a kid we feel can really run got a lot of speed. Were thinking he could be a defensive back. We believe Delton is going to be a natural corner, thats what he was recruited as and I think that is what he is going to end up playing. He can be a return guy for and do a lot of things."
Sylvester "Bobo" Brown RB 59", 204 lbs. Canton, Miss. (Milford Academy)/Madison (Miss.) Central High
- Rushed for 2,627 yards and 33 touchdowns in his two years at Milford.
- Mississippis Class 5A state record holder in career yards with 7,130, breaking NFL Hall-of-Famer Walter Paytons record.
JLS on Brown:
"He is a physical kid. Hes big, hes strong, hes a powerlifter. So we think even at the running back spot he can take the pounding that the one-back is going to take and step up and do some of the blocking that were going to ask our one-back offensive back to do."
Kris Bush RB 511", 184 lbs. New Orleans, La. (John Curtis Christian HS)
- Named one of the high school players of the year by Greater New Orleans Quarteback Club.
- Rushed for 1,119 yards and scored 20 touchdowns to lead John Curtis Christian to its second-straight Class 4A state championship
JLS on Bush:
"Good running back, I mean heres a guy that were going to end up seeing if he could not end up being a safety as well. So what were going to do with all the running backs is find the best one and try to keep them there and then the others may end up moving. So Kris Bush is guy that we think could be possibly a good defensive back."
Irving Campbell WR 511", 165 lbs. Lake Worth, Fla. (Santaluces HS)
- Earned Class 6A second-team all-state honors as a senior. Named to the Palm Beach Post All-Area team.
- Pulled down 46 receptions for 809 yards and five touchdowns in 2002.
JLS on Campbell:
"Kid out of Florida, we feel like is a very, very quality wide out. He can really run, catches the ball of course, he better be able to do it, we believe hes a wide out, even though he has played some DB and capable of doing that, but we think hes a legit wide out and will wind up helping us there."
Jehuu Caulcrick RB 60", 234 lbs. Sherman, N.Y. (Clymer, HS)
- Three-time all-state and All-Western New York selection. 2002 Western New York player of the year.
- Rushed for 2,161 yards and 28 touchdowns as a senior. Western New Yorks all-time rushing leader with 6,559 yards.
JLS on Caulcrick:
"Hes a physical kid, he can do what youre looking to get down in a one-back offense, but he can step on to the other side of the ball as well, cause he can run. We really like him and think hes going to be a kid who can possibly step in and help, because hes mature enough first-year out of the bag that he can do some stuff for us right away."
Sean Clayton QB 64", 233 lbs. Poland, Ohio (Poland Seminary HS)
- First-team all-state selection by the Associated Press. Northeast Ohio Division III Player of the Year.
- Completed 146-of-216 passes (67.6 percent) for 1,937 yards with 19 touchdowns and only four interceptions in 2002. He also rushed for 558 yards and eight scores.
JLS on Clayton:
"Very, very athletic kid, can run around and throw it, can do a lot of things. If he doesnt end up staying there (quarterback position) we think hes a great athlete, so he could end up seeing him play he is going to play somewhere.
Peter Clifford OL 67", 317 lbs. Salem, N.H. (Bridgton Academy)
- Earned first-team All-New Hampshire honors as a senior at Salem. Competed in 2002 Shrine Maple Sugar Bowl (New Hampshire vs. Vermont all-stars).
- Lettered in track as a discus and javelin thrower as well as started at center for the basketball team. Clifford is already enrolled as MSU
JLS on Clifford:
"Big kid, getting stronger all the time I mean hes huge. Hes got a great work ethic and the good thing is hes a freshman who will have spring ball."
DeAndra Cobb CB 510, 184 lbs. Las Vegas, Nev. (Antelope Valley College)
- Nations top 101 junior college prospects in 2002 by JCFootball.com.
- First-team All-Foothill Conference selection who rushed for 1,060 yards and 11 scores.
JLS on Cobb:
"We recruited him as a corner, he was a running back and has great speed. We think he can make the transition and being a junior college kid thats what were counting on from him.
Greg Cooper CB 511", 185 lbs. Flint, MI (Flint Northern HS)
- Racked up 67 tackles and eight interceptions during his senior season in 2001.
- Registered 250 c tackles, six sacks, 21 interceptions and eight fumble recoveries for his career.
JLS on Cooper:
"Young man who came out last year that we ended up signing this year. We think hes got the capability and the size and everything that were looking for to be either a corner or a safety. Heres a kid that could end up playing much first year out."
Cole Corey RB/DB 510", 185 lbs. Tecumseh, Mich. (Tecumseh HS)
- First-team all-state selection as a running back by the Associated Press.
- Rushed for 1,350 yards and 20 touchdowns as a senior. Set the state the single-game record and tied the national mark by returning three kickoff returns for touchdowns vs. Ypsilanti Lincoln.
JLS on Corey:
"Heres a kid thats just a darn good football player. I mean you look at him on film and you spend hours and hours looking, you say gosh he keeps coming back, this guys a good football player, hes going to play somewhere. I dont know if its going to running back, but we kind of expect him to be a defensive back."
Mike Gyetvai OL 67", 323 lbs. Old Castle, Ont. (Sandwich Secondary)
- Named Ontario Lineman of the Year and League MVP in 2002. Three-time first-team all-league selection.
- Was a two-way starter who helped the Sabres to 20-consecutive wins, which included back-to-back Western Bowl and league championships in 2001-02.
JLS on Gyetvai:
"Big kid, God thats one thing you cant coach is size. Hes going to be a little bit green like all offensive linemen to a degree, but hes got great size and good intelligence and we think hes got the capability of being a good-looking guy down the road."
Jamar Jones WR 63", 198 lbs. Arcadia, Fla. (DeSoto County HS)
- Named 3A class second-team all-state by the Florida Sports Writers Association.
- Grabbed 30 catches for 706 yards (23.5 avg.) and six touchdowns as a senior. He was also a defensive back, recording 34 tackles and picking off four passes.
JLS on Jones:
"Big wide out, good-looking guy kind of throw it up to him and he can go get it. Hes a basketball player, hes a good athlete. Hes a good football player, does it all."
Terry Love WR 511", 161 lbs. Bellwood, Ill. (Proviso East HS)
- Earned all-state and all-area honors as a senior. Owns every career and single-season Pirate receiving record.
- Had 41 receptions for 941 yards and 10 touchdowns in 2002. Hauled down 36 passes for 1,275 yards (35.4 avg) and 11 touchdowns as a junior.
JLS on Love:
"He pretty well planned on going to some other places and then ended up changing his mind and coming to our place and we expect him to possibly play right off the bat as well. But hes got tremendous speed and can catch the ball and all that stuff.
John Masters OL 64", 273 lbs. Carmel, Ind. (Carmel HS)
- Consensus all-state selection as senior. Graded out 95 percent of his blocking assignments in 2002.
- Set a single-game record with 10 pancake blocks.
JLS on Masters:
"Hes a kid we were recruiting out of Louisville and we think he could be an inside guy for us, possibly a center, guard something like that, but a good smart kid."
Daryl Melvin DE 66", 227 lbs. Jersey City, NJ (Nassau Community College)
- JUCO All-American. One of the nations top 50 junior college prospects.
- Racked up 16 sacks as sophomore at Nassau. In two seasons he totaled 150 tackles and 24 sacks.
JLS on Melvin:
"We got to get to some meat on him, got to get him a little bit bigger without a doubt, but we think hes an edge rusher for us. We need him and we need him to get bigger over the summer, so when he comes in hes ready to go.
Stephen Reaves QB 62", 187 lbs. Tampa, Fla. (Plant HS)
- Threw for nearly 1,800 yards and 17 touchdowns as senior, while only being picked off five times.
- As a junior he threw for 1,863 yards and 18 scores as a junior, while rushing four an additional four scores. Father John was an All-American at Florida.
JLS on Reaves:
"Hes a lefty. And so we have a left-handed quarterback coach, so hell be all right and theyll talk to one another. Hes got great mobility and we think hes a quality, quality football player."
Maurice Smith - Davis RB 6-1, 225 lbs. Warren, Ohio (Howland HS)
- Earned third-team all-state honors. First team All-Metro Athletic Conference.
- Gained 1,329 yards on the ground in 2002 and pulled down eight catches for 115 yards. Father Travis Davis was a defensive tackle for the Spartans (1986-89).
JLS on Smith - Davis:
"Running back, could possibly end up being a linebacker for us as well. Hes that big, physical running back could be on that side or bounce over to the other side."
Kaleb Thornhill LB 61", 222 lbs. Lansing, MI (Eastern HS)
- Rushed for nearly 1,000 yards and intercepted one pass as a senior.
- His father Charlie and brother Josh played linebacker for MSU.
JLS on Thornhill:
"Hes a linebacker, we recruited him as that. Comes from a family of linebackers, comes from a family of Spartans, so hes got the good gene pool and hes going to be a good football player for us.
Joe Toth OL 62", 278 lbs. Port Charlotte, Fla. (Port Charlotte HS)
- Picked to Floridas 4-A Second Team all-state as a senior.
- He was a four-year varsity starter, starting 42 times, a school record.
JLS on Toth:
"Says offensive lineman could very easily end up on the other side of the ball. Runs well enough to play over there, is thick enough and strong enough, I know hes a Polynesian kid, you know those guys are just like rocks, cause theyre very, very thick guys. Hes going to be a solid, solid kid.