Decision on Horizon for Bielfeldt

Peoria (IL) Notre Dame power forward, Max Bielfeldt saw his recruitment pick steam last month thanks to offers from co-favorites, Illinois and Michigan. After taking official visits to both schools in recent weeks, the c/o 2011 big man is closing in on a decision.

Max Bielfeldt Profile

"They had it," said Bielfeldt after Michigan came up short in its NCAA Tournament match up with Duke.  "They had it!  They're so underrated.  On paper, you look at Michigan and they can't beat Duke.  Then it goes down to the wire and comes down to a last second shot.  I like that about them."

That appreciation for how the Wolverines go about their business has been cultivated all season, but it was deepened early last week when he made his way to Ann Arbor for the last of his official visits.

"I took it Tuesday and Wednesday," Bielfeldt reported.  "I just took a couple days off school. My mom and dad came with me.  It was great.  I really enjoyed it. I got to see a practice and hang out a little bit.  I just really enjoyed myself."

Watching practice and spending time with the coaching staff in Ann Arbor gave the 1st Team All State forward a much better idea of what kind of impact he could have on the Maize & Blue – maybe even as soon as next year.

Said Bielfeldt, "(The Michigan coaches) said (playing a significant role as a true freshman) just depends on how I develop over the summer, but that is definitely a possibility."

The Illinois coaching staff has indicated that the same opportunity exists in Champaign. After observing the Illini in action Bielfeldt believes that's anything but lip service.

"I'm watching (Illinois) right now," he said late Sunday evening.  "They said that they need a physical guy and I think that is really showing right now against Kansas.  (The Illini) are getting pushed around a little bit, so I see how I could fit in there."

If the 6-8, 230-pounder believes the fit is better at one school than the other, he currently isn't tipping his hand.  However, it won't be long before he puts all of his cards on the table.

"I am looking at (announcing a decision) Thursday maybe," Bielfeldt stated.  "I'm not sure how I'm going to do that yet.  I'll probably let (the coaches) know ahead of time, though.  Then I'll announce it."

Stay tuned to GoBlueWolverine for more on Bielfeldt in the coming days.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories