For months Seffner (FL) Armwood safety, Leon McQuay has had a firm top three of Michigan Vanderbilt, and USC. That top three is no more. The Wolverines abruptly slid from the four-star prospect’s triumvirate of leaders yesterday after hours of deep thought about the state of his recruitment.
“He didn’t drop (Michigan),” clarified McQuay’s father, Leon McQuay Jr. “They wanted to move on the Penn State commit and they informed us on Tuesday. It came down all of a sudden. But Leon is not ready to commit yet. It’s a business and I understand that. I had a conversation with his head coach, and between the two of us and the conversations he had with the coaching staff at Michigan, he kind of thought that it was best that if there is no (definite) scholarship available, why would they be in his top three?”
Offering McQuay the right of first refusal after of accepting a commitment from Ross Douglas illustrates the Maize & Blue numbers crunch. The departure of junior defensive back Terrence Talbott leaves Michigan with two scholarships to offer. With multiple targets left on the board, the race to fill those slots is on. McQuay’s decision to stick to his late November timeline doesn’t mean that Michigan will not recruit him beyond this point… as a matter of fact the Wolverine brass insisted they would keep courting the Sunshine State star. What it does mean is Michigan isn’t guaranteeing a scholarship will be available later in the process.
“I can respect that because again, at the end of the day it’s a business,” Mr. McQuay stated. “If Leon is not ready I can’t expect him to hold up the progress of the university and what they’re trying to do as far as closing out their class. “
“The whole Penn State thing… I’m kind of giving some leeway (to Michigan) because if I was one of the coaches and we’ve got a kid we really really like… and we don’t know if we are going to end up being (Leon’s) choice in November, (I’d take him). That’s why I’m not salty or mad about it. Am I a little uncomfortable? Maybe, but that’s just part of recruiting. You don’t know what’s going to happen.”
Moving forward McQuay asserts Michigan will remain under consideration. That said, the Wolverines’ obvious fall down the leaderboard created an opening for Florida State in his top three and quite likely on his official visit schedule.
“We’re going to Gridiron kings this weekend in Orlando,” the elder McQuay said, laying out his son’s itinerary. “He will see his buddy Shane Morris there. After that we probably will be going out to USC for an unofficial either at the beginning of August or the middle of August right before the season starts. We had already started planning (official visits), but we’ll have to see what’s going on at Michigan. We were going to take five (officials). The only schools that we hadn’t contacted to set up dates were Notre Dame and Oregon. The other three were set, but it looks like now Florida State is going to slide in there.”
One other minor change for McQuay was in his scheduled decision date, which was previously November 21st.
“I think we’re going to move it to the 26th,” Mr. McQuay reported. “That’s the Monday after he comes from that USC official.”