Weber says U-M 'Opened my Eyes'

STORY: Detroit Cass Tech 2015 RB Mike Weber discusses the latest on Michigan after the Notre Dame game visit. Has Michigan moved up on his list? Find out inside.

While Michigan won a thrilling contest against Notre Dame, 41-30, Saturday night, U-M was also playing host to some of the top high school talent in the country.

One of the top players in attendance was Detroit Cass Tech junior running back Mike Weber. The four-star prospect has been to Michigan's first two home games this season and after his latest visit for the Under the Lights II, Weber said he was impressed with his overall experience.

"It was my first Michigan night game," Weber said. "It was so live. I got to see Trey Burke, Tim Hardaway Jr., and Desmond Howard. I got to see all those guys. It was real cool to see those guys up closed and shake their hands."

After the game, Weber had a chance to talk with the Michigan coaching staff, specifically U-M RB coach Fred Jackson.

"After the game we went to the lobby part and I talked with Fred Jackson. He basically said, not to be scared because other backs was coming. He said they still wanted me," Weber said. "He thinks I can be the top back still. It kind of open my eyes more to Michigan."

With his recent rejuvenation in his Michigan recruitment, Weber admitted there was some frustration when U-M received the commitment from 2015 RB Damien Harris. But after his talk with Jackson on Saturday, Weber said Michigan has moved up on his list.

"When I was little I loved Michigan," Weber said. "Then I still loved Michigan. But when the other guy (Damien Harris) committed, I kind of put my head down towards it. But after I went there last night – it's back to where it had been when I first even thought about Michigan.

"I know what college is the best fit for me, there is people there. I know I will have to beat them out. I'm not scared of competition."

Weber said he plans on coming back to Ann Arbor when Michigan plays Minnesota on Oct. 5. He also noted he would visit on Ohio State weekend and might stay overnight.

In no particular order, Weber said Michigan, Michigan State, Tennessee and newly added Wisconsin are his top-four schools at the moment.

"Well, Wisconsin came and offered me," Weber said. "They have shown a lot of interest through letters, Twitter and stuff like that. So I can say there is a top four schools that are showing the most interest."

Next on Weber's visit list is an upcoming visit to Tennessee, where he'll get his first chance to checkout a Volunteers home game.

"I haven't been to a game," Weber said. "Everyone has been hyping them up. All I have seen is a couple videos on how their home games are. It should be exciting."

As far as decision timeline, Weber said he might commit after this season.

"There is a strong possibility," said Weber on making a decision after this season. "I always wanted to do it at the U.S. Army All-American game. If I don't make it to the game. It should be at the end of this year."

Another key factor in Weber's decision process is where his Cass teammate – junior DE Joshua Alabi – decides to go to school. Weber made it no secret that where Alabi goes, he will most likely follow suit, saying the two of them are a package deal.

"Me and Josh always talk about attending the same college. I would say it's about a 70 percent chance of us going to the same college. It might be that 30 percent chance that we might not go. Basically it is a package deal that me and Josh will be going to the same college."


The Michigan Insider Top Stories