Dwayne Bacon Eyeing Michigan Official Visit

Michigan continues to stay in contact with 2015 Florida four-star small forward Dwayne Bacon. Bacon on his interaction with the Wolverines, spring performances so far, upcoming visit plans, and more.

Dwayne Bacon’s junior year hasn’t exactly gone as planned now just weeks away from summer vacation.

Transferring from McKeel Academy (Fla.) to IMG Academy (Fla.) following his sophomore year, Bacon played half a season at IMG before shifting back over to McKeel, actually taking classes their and at nearby Faith Baptist.

Unsure of where he’ll play basketball his senior season, Bacon is already attacking things on the AAU circuit this spring.

“I only played in one tournament cause I got hurt the first one but the second one I averaged about 26 (points per game),” Bacon said. “So, it was a good tournament.”

Bacon now says he stands 6-foot-6, 205-pounds and is using that added size to his advantage on both ends of the floor.

“Where I’ve seen the most growth is rebounding and getting to the bucket,” Bacon said. “I play a lot more defense so getting better on the defensive side and offensive side has been good.

“I’m becoming a much better scorer, I mean, I was already a scorer but learning how to shoot better, take better shots and opportunities, just a lot of different things have changed me.”

Currently holding offers from Baylor, Clemson, DePaul, Florida State, Georgia Tech, Louisville, Marquette, Memphis, South Florida, UCF, Virginia Tech, and Xavier, Bacon hosted both USC and Georgetown for visits this week.

“I had a home visit with USC last night, I’ve got a home visit tonight with Georgetown too,” Bacon said. “The evaluation period just kicked off so, I know a lot of coaches are trying to come but I haven’t planned anything else yet.”

Bacon adding, “I just have a lot that are talking. Really it’s the ones that offered that are trying to come in but I haven’t made any other plans yet.”

Another school that continues to keep in contact with Bacon is Michigan.

“Michigan, it’s been all right,” Bacon said. “They’re just waiting on me to take a visit. So, whenever I take a visit I’ll have that offer.”

Asked what the chances are of him making an official visit to Ann Arbor to check out the Wolverines this fall, Bacon was non-committal but optimistic it’ll happen.

“It should be pretty likely but I’m not sure,” Bacon said. “That should be a visit but I’m not 100-percent sure. But it should be.”

Leading the charge for Michigan in Bacon’s recruitment is assistant Bacari Alexander.

“He’s still talking to me and talking to my AAU coach,” Bacon said.

“He’s a good guy. They still think I’m a great player and that’s something that’s huge for me.”

Without seeing the Wolverines up close and personal just yet Bacon has been keeping tabs on John Beilein’s program and the prospects being sent to the NBA nearly every year.

“Their coaches, they’re just great coaches, they win games,” Bacon said. “It’d be something where I could come in and I could play and compete and get better. That’s something I’m always going to look into.

“I mean, when Trey Burke got there he wasn’t a top 10 player, he was kind of like where I was but he got better and he’s out of there now. He was a top player out of the draft last year so, they develop players and I see that.”

Michigan hasn’t been out to see Bacon just yet this spring but the four-star small forward believes that could change this weekend.

“I think they’re planning to come this weekend for the live period in Mississippi,” he said. “As soon as I get there I’ll know because we have a game Friday night.”

Bacon says he has no plans to release a top 10 or top 15 anytime soon, continuing to let his recruitment come to him, unlikely to sign during the early signing period in November.

“I’m not thinking about committing yet,” Bacon said. “I’m just waiting everything out and seeing who really wants me and what suits my skill set.”


The Michigan Insider Top Stories