Grant Newsome ‘Fully Committed’ to Michigan

2015 Lawrenceville (N.J.) Prep 4-star OT Grant Newsome discusses Michigan, recent conversations with Brady Hoke and fellow commitments, whether or not other schools are calling, and more.

NEWTOWN SQUARE, Pa. -- Following a heartbreaking, last second 35-28 loss at Episcopal (Pa.) Catholic Thursday night, all Grant Newsome could do was pace.

Helmet off, cold air streaming from his head, slowly walking back and forth was Newsome as the rest of his team sauntered toward the bus.

“It was definitely a hard fought game,” Newsome said afterward. “You’ve got to give credit to Episcopal, they played hard but we just didn’t finish.”

Pace.

Playing on both sides of the ball as a senior for Lawrenceville (N.J.) Prep, Newsome anchored the offensive line at left tackle and clogged running lanes in the middle of the defensive line.

Still, coming up short on the scoreboard, Newsome feels his play could’ve been better, needing a large impact out of his 6-foot-6, 280-pound frame.

“I could’ve played a lot better,” Newsome said. “There’s definitely a lot to improve on and whenever you come up with a loss on the scoreboard you take that as a loss personally.”

The frown and sheer anger never once leaving Newsome’s face following the game, the 6-foot-7, 290-pound tackle vowed to get it corrected.

“I think part of being a leader, part of being a captain is leading by example and I don’t think the captains did that tonight. That’s on us and we’ll be better.”

Off the field, things haven’t exactly been easy of late for Newsome either. A commitment in the 2015 class to the University of Michigan, the Wolverines are off to a tough 2-3 start and spent the last week dealing with their own controversy.

Still, Newsome says he’s been in contact with Brady Hoke, trying to remain positive about his decision and the situation in Ann Arbor.

“I talked to him last week,” Newsome said. “It was all positive and I’m fully committed.”

“He said it’s a tough start but it’s a football season,” Newsome added. “There’s still a lot of games left to be played. I think they’ll come back and prove to some people how they can rebound in the second half of the season.”

Newsome has been outspoken, perhaps the most of any of the other commitments currently on Michigan’s list, recently sending out a tweet indicating he committed to Michigan for other reasons than just the coaching staff.

While many commits are continuing to take a wait and see approach, Newsome believes at the end of the day the class will be ok.

“We definitely talk a lot,” Newsome said. “I think everyone is going to have their individual opinion but I think for the most part we’re solid as a class. We’re solid.”

Prior to committing to Michigan, Newsome had been offered by the likes of Alabama, LSU, Michigan State, and Ohio State, to name a few.

In the aftermath of Michigan’s struggles and controversy surrounding the handling of Shane Morris’ concussion, Newsome has heard from several other coaches.

Still, that contact has changed nothing in his mind.

“I’ve taken (the calls) out of respect but I’m fully committed to Michigan,” Newsome said.

Related Stories: Michigan AD Says Hoke “Not Accountable”
Tides of Frustration Raging in Ann Arbor
Brandon: Morris Has Probable, Mild Concussion
SAAC Speaks up for Brandon
U-M President Offers Latest Apology
Are These Humbling Times For Michigan's AD?


The Michigan Insider Top Stories