Michigan Snaps Four Game Skid, Win 72-56

Michigan raced to an 11-0 advantage Monday, beating Coppin State 72-56 to end a four game losing streak.

ANN ARBOR, Mich. -- Coppin State or not the Michigan basketball team needed a win for the first time in five tries and got it in convincing fashion, 72-56 the final at Crisler Center Monday.

In his second career start freshman center Ricky Doyle actually led Michigan in scoring with 16-points on 6-of-7 shooting from the field to go with five rebounds.

Sophomore Zak Irvin came ready to play Monday reeling in seven rebounds to go with his 13-points.

Fellow sophomore Derrick Walton Jr. threw seven first half assists, finishing his night with nine dimes and nine-points.

Michigan quickly raced out to an 11-0 advantage thanks to two quick buckets by Doyle and Caris LeVert, a three by Irvin then forcing an early timeout for Coppin State.

In his second straight game coming off the bench Mark Donnal once again provided some scoring production, knocking down his first attempt from three-point range, converting a lay-up a minute later.

Michigan would lead 23-8 at the first television timeout with 11:46 remaining in the first half.

The Wolverines were then held scoreless over the next two and a half minutes as Coppin State switched up their look defensively, throwing a 2-3 one at John Beilein.

A jumper by Daquan Brickhouse cut Michigan’s lead to 23-11 before two baskets in a row, another from Doyle and an aggressive baseline take and floater out of little used Aubrey Dawkins.

Michigan was up 27-13 at the next TV timeout with 7:44 to go in the half.

The three balls began to fall for Michigan down the stretch, Derrick Walton Jr., Kameron Chatman and Irvin each cashing in to give the Wolverines a 42-26 lead heading into the break.

In the second half, Michigan went nearly four minutes before recording a field goal, Irvin finding LeVert for an easy lay-in to give the Wolverines a 45-28 advantage.

Chatman found the bottom of the net from downtown for the second time on the night with 15:51 to go, Irvin then following that up with a one-handed alley oop finish on a nice delivery by LeVert to get the Crisler Center crowd into the game.

Michigan would once again be victim to another scoring drought, Doyle converting a hook for the first field goal in over three minutes of game action, the Wolverines leading 53-33 at the next TV timeout.

A Walton Jr. three and yet another finish inside out of Doyle pushed Michigan’s lead to 25, 58-33 with 9:04 to play.

Following a Michigan timeout with 4:39 left, Doyle came up with a dunk and the foul, converting the free throw to make it 65-41 Wolverines.

With just over a minute left to go play, Beilein made the move, inserting freshman Austin Hatch into the game. Fouled on a three-point attempt, Hatch knocked down 1-of-3 free throws to record his first career point.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories