Beilein on Status of Albrecht/Walton Jr.

Michigan coach John Beilein discusses the off-season plans for Derrick Walton Jr., Spike Albrecht.

If Michigan’s biggest off-season priority is finding out the future of junior wing Caris LeVert -- either NBA bound or returning for one final season -- the status’ of point guards Derrick Walton Jr. and Spike Albrecht come in second.

Speaking with media via a conference call Sunday evening after hearing word that Michigan wouldn’t be included in the National Invitation Tournament, Beilein commented on both injury situations.

For Albrecht, previously admitting during the season he was dealing with an issue that would require surgery once the year was over, Michigan is still learning of its options for the operation and recovery period.

“The next couple days will mean a lot,” Beilein said. “If the injury is similar to Max’s (Bielfeldt), it is something that will take him the best part of the summer to recover from.

“So, the earlier the better. But we also don’t want him to miss too many classes. He’ll rehab really well, I’m confident of it. He’s hungry to get back going, I’m sure.”

Walton Jr. on the other hand has been out of the lineup since Jan. 24 despite attempting to give it a go on his injured foot on a daily basis.

Unable to return before the season ended, Walton Jr. made progress Sunday but is now fully prepared to do what it takes to get back on the floor at 100-percent as soon as possible.

“He practiced today; the best he’s practiced all year long,” Beilein said. “What’s the irony in that? He was able to go for a full hour today. Still not completely pain-free, but it didn’t bother him like it had.

“He’s ready to try all kinds of therapy. We want him to get it right. Today, he still wasn’t right, but it was a big improvement.”

The Michigan Insider Top Stories