Coaches check in on local talent after dead period expires
- 2019 (Mich.) Southfield quarterback Sam Johnson informed The Michigan Insider that next week Michigan will be coming up to the school
- Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley stopped by Detroit (Mich.) Oak Park High on Thursday to see a trio of prospects in Wolverine 2017 commit, offensive tackle Ja’Raymond Hall, 2018 offensive guard Marquan McCall and 2019 quarterback Dwan Mathis
- Orchard Lake (Mich.) St. Mary’s Prep junior duo of speedy wide receiver K.J. Hamler and physical linebacker James Ross were both visited by Michigan Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley
- On Friday, Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley made the short trip over to Ann Arbor (Mich.) Pioneer to see their highly touted 2017 running back in Antjuan Simmons and to get his recent transcripts and test scores.
- Wolverine 2017 commit, Bloomfield (Mich.) Brother Rice tight end Carter Dunaway said Head Coach Jim Harbaugh will stop by sometime next week
- 2017 Detroit (Mich.) King cornerback Ambry Thomas said Running Backs Coach Tyrone Wheatley stopped by to see him on Friday
- 2017 St. Joseph (Mich.) defensive end Corey Malone-Hatcher was visited by Tight Ends Coach Jay Harbaugh on Thursday
- Warren (Mich.) De La Salle junior athlete Allen Stritzinger said Tight Ends Coach Jay Harbaugh stopped by on Thursday to see him. However, he let The Michigan Insider know that he was out because he was on a junior class retreat.
- Tight Ends Coach Jay Harbaugh has also been in contact with another prospect from De La Salle in senior athlete Josh Wilk. Harbaugh talked to Wilk on the phone Friday about a possible preferred walk-on opportunity to Michigan. No walk-on offer has been extended, but if it does come, he will be very interested in it. He went on to say it’s been his dream to go to Michigan and wear the Maize and Blue.
- Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech High was visited on Friday by Head Coach Jim Harbaugh and sent out a new offer to 2018 cornerback Kalon Gervin.
- Harbaugh also dropped in on 2017 defensive back Jaylen Kelly-Powell.
Top 2016 Targets Visited:
Los Angeles (Calif.) Loyola senior cornerback David Long had defensive backs coach Michael Zordich in for an in-home visit and said it went really well. The Golden State standout also said he’s very comfortable with Coach Zordich and that his family loves him as well
Orlando (Fla.) Oak Ridge senior linebacker Jonathan Jones was visited earlier in the week by new defensive coordinator Don Brown and said the visit went well
- Baylor commit, Kennedale (TX.) junior outside linebacker Baron Browning
- Port Washington (Wisc.) junior offensive lineman Tyler Beach
- Detroit (Mich.) University of Detroit Jesuit junior safety Scott Nelson
- Clearwater (Fla.) Central Catholic junior wide receiver C.J. Cotman
- Egg Harbor City (N.J.) Cedar Creek junior running back Bo Melton - Teammate of incoming Wolverine early enrollee wide receiver, Ahmir Mitchell
- Miami (Fla.) Christopher Columbus 2017 outside linebacker Guy Thomas - Teammate of Wolverine target 2016 defensive end Joshua Uche and will be taking an official visit to Ann Arbor on January 22nd
- Detroit (Mich.) Cass Tech 2018 cornerback Kalon Gervin (mentioned earlier)
- Palm Beach Gardens (Fla.) senior long snapper Hunter Arbit offered a preferred walk-on spot
New Official Visits Set:
Concord (Calif.) senior defensive tackle Boss Tagaloa and senior tight end Devin Asiasi will both be taking an official visit to Ann Arbor on January 22nd
Ellenwood (Ga.) Cedar Grove senior linebacker Elysee Mbem-Bosse will be taking an official visit to Michigan on January 22nd as well
Decision Date Set:
Allen (Texas.) senior defensive tackle Levi Onwuzurike announced on Twitter that he will be committing on January 20th. There were rumors that he had eliminated Michigan off his top list, but confirmed to The Michigan Insider that he is still considering all his options including the Wolverines.