Greg Bartram, USA TODAY

Ohio State tops Michigan in 30-27 2OT thriller

Ohio State defeats Michigan 30-27 in double overtime on Saturday.

Saturday's version of 'The Game' is why it is called just that.

In double overtime, Ohio State running back Curtis Samuel took the ball 15 yards for the game winning touchdown as the No. 2 ranked Buckeyes defeated the No. 3 ranked Michigan 30-27.

The game winning touchdown didn't come without controversy, however.

OSU quarterback J.T. Barrett kept the ball on a fourth-and-1 in the second overtime period and appeared to gain the necessary one yard for the first down. After a very close replay review, it appeared that Barrett didn't quite make it. However, the play stood as called allowing the Buckeyes to continue playing.

Overtime aside, the Wolverines had plenty of chances to put the game away.

Leading 17-7 in the third quarter and driving, U-M quarterback Wilton Speight threw his second interception of the day to Jerome Baker. The other interception coming in the first quarter in the form of a pick six. The Buckeyes would take the interception and score, with help from a personal foul penalty called on head coach Jim Harbaugh, to make the score 17-14.

In the fourth quarter, the Buckeyes tried its best to hand the Wolverines the game. OSU kicker Tyler Durbin, who had missed a kick earlier, shanked a 21-yard field goal to keep the score 17-14 and the Wolverines' hopes alive. However, like the way the game went for U-M, it wasn't able to capitalize on the situation and had to punt the ball away.

After the game, Harbaugh was not pleased with the referees during the game. Citing many missed penalties and Barrett's run, Harbaugh unleashed on the refs during his post game press conference.

"I was bitterly disappointed with the officials today," Harbaugh said.

For now, without a bid to the Big Ten championship game, the Wolverines currently await its fate to see where it lands for a bowl game.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories