Matt Leinart -- I think he'll win Heismann some day.
Leinart was a Michigan recruit (three years ago -- he's a redshirt sophomore) . He came to the Michigan Camp the summer before his senior year -- I don't think he worked out, he just came as a visitor. And at that time, Leinart was the ONLY quarterback we were going after. He was not THAT highly recruited nationally but we knew he was the real deal. He never told us anything, but we thought we had a damn good chance to land him ... but he decided to stay home in the end. Pete Carroll a damn good recruiter by the way, one of best in country. He is very personable with the kids, he goes out of his way to make them comfortable. Heck he came all the way to Saginaw to see Lamar Woodley a year ago. And he makes the parents feel comfortable as well.
But back to Leinart. He's smart, efficient, accurate (63% completion rate), he has good arm strength. He reads defenses, he makes few mistakes, he studies the game. He's a lefty. He can scramble, he can throw roll out passes. Everybody compares to him to Carson Palmer. He had one bad game this year, the loss Cal in OT. He had 4 interceptions in that game I believe ... 4 of his 9 interceptions this year were in that game.
And Michigan will study that Cal game, you can bet on that.
Other USC players that Michigan recruited (form the Mark Ouimet Memory):
- JR DE Shaun Cody -he has 6 sacks this season.
- Redshirt Junior LB Matt Grootegood -- he's been moved to LB, and he plays a lot. He made an official visit to Michigan, and was being recruited as a safety.
- SR TE Alex Holmes -- he's on the team, but they don't use the tight end much. He made an official visit to Michigan, and is the son of former Michigan player Mike Holmes.
- JR QB Brandon Hance. He made an official visit to Michigan.
- Redshirt Junior P Tom Huff ... he actually walked on at Michigan as a freshman as a punter (he's from Washington State)
- SO FB Brandon Hancock .... he played in 7 games.
- Redshirt SO QB Billy Hart
"I think he'll win Heismann some day."
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Thomas embraces Brown's 'dude' termsMichigan's Dymonte Thomas has embraced Don Brown's coaching mannerisms, being called a "dude" is one of them.
The Michigan Insider4:03 PM
Recruiting Breakdown: Michigan vs. MSUMichigan and Michigan State face-off in a Big Ten rivalry battle. Before the Spartans and Wolverines take the field, take a look at their recruiting history and what their
Scout Football3:57 PM
Butt: Michigan not taking MSU lightlyMichigan senior tight end Jake Butt credits the scout team, coaching staff and 2013 class for week to week approach this season.
The Michigan Insider1:12 PM
WATCH: Lewis Lauds Harbaugh's RelentelessnessJourdan Lewis says Michigan headman Jim Harbaugh's penchant for never taking his foot off of the gas pedal even in games the Wolverines are winning in blowout fashion has instilled…
The Michigan Insider12:46 PM