There is only one official visitor (unofficially of course) at Michigan this weekend, Fla. OL Dumaka Atkins. The site of Michigan's major recruiting competition is in Los Angeles this weekend -- particularly on the USC campus, but on the UCLA campus as well.
Visiting Michigan this weekend:
- Offensive/defensive lineman Dumaka Atkins (scheduled Jan. 16 Michigan official visit, 6-4, 280 lbs., 300 lb. bench press, 3.25 GPA/1110 SAT) from Sarasota, Fla., Booker. After considering visits to USC and all of the Florida schools for January, Atkins has made a major shift. He told Sam Webb yesterday, "My visits have been moved around. I haven't taken any yet. Right now I just have Florida State the week after Michigan. I'm not sure where I'll be going afterward."
Ed. note: we will see if Michigan decides to take another lineman. What happens with Atkins could well depend on the kids listed below.
Visiting USC this weekend -- THIS is where most of the action is! Colvin! Germany! Even possibly Thompson! Will U-M get revenge against USC on the recruiting-field?!
1. Defensive end/outside linebacker Eugene Germany (Oct. 18 official visit, USC Nike stats: 6-3 1/2, 248 lbs.... 4.65 in the 40, 2.3 GPA) from Pomona, Calif. Michigan is considered the BIG leader over USC. Germany and teammate Keston Cheathem watched a U-M Rose Bowl practice, and they both played in the CaliFlorida All Star Game. He is TheInsiders.com's #28 Pac Ten area prospect.
Other official visits: WSU Oct. 3, Oregon State Oct. 31, Miami Dec. 12, USC Jan. 16.
2. Surprise! Michigan commitment LB John Thompson (Jan. 9 official visit, 2003 U-M Camper, 6-2, 210 lbs., 4.6 in the 40, 3.2 GPA) from Detroit Crockett. Thompson was thinking of taking a couple of Sunshine State visits in Jan., but now -- if he gets an SC offer in the next day or so -- he will take this visit (and this visit only we believe) to USC.
Other official visits: Wisconsin Dec. 5, Minnesota Dec. 19, possibly USC Jan 16.
2. Cameron Colvin (Sept. 13 official visit, Stanford Nike stats: 6-1, 188 lbs., 4.31 in the 40, 3.85 shuttle, 32.4 inch vertical, 13 bench press reps.... 2.3 GPA/860 SAT) from Concord, Calif., De La Salle. Yesterday he told Don Hoekwater,"My list now is Michigan, USC, with Oregon in there. I've dropped Miami but I'm still going to take my visit (1/23). He has made just one unofficial visit to the Trojan campus. "I went down to LA for the UCLA Junior Day and then I took an unofficial to USC. I didn't go down for any games."
Colvin was one of the top three performers in the U.S. Army All Star Game. Cameron missed the first five games of his senior season due to an academic issue but has still caught 35 passes for 691 yards and 11 touchdowns as DLS finished 13-0 and won their 12th straight CIF North Coast Section Championship, extending their 151 game winning streak. He is TheInsiders.com's #18 prospect.
Other planned official visits: Oregon Jan. 9, USC Jan. 16, Miami Jan. 23, maybe Florida State Jan. 30.
Ed. Note: will having Germany and Thompson on campus for the visit actually HELP U-M with Colvin? And, if top Oh. WR Fred Davis commits to SC tomorrow (Thurs.) as expected, will this have an impact, especially since USC already has a commitment from top WR Mike Bumpus? The Soap Opera heats up!
Also, visiting UCLA this weekend.
- Adrian Arrington (Dec. 12 official visit, 2002 U-M Camper, U-M Nike stats: 6-4, 177 lbs., 4.5 in the 40, 32.4 inch vertical, 4.28 sec. Shuttle ... 3.5 GPA) from Cedar Rapids, Ia., George Washington. Michigan has been considered his favorite, with Iowa a close second; at the U.S. Army game he told us that it's, "Mainly Michigan and Iowa." He attended the U-M Nike Camp, and made an unofficial visit the next day. As a senior Arrington had 57 catches for 914 yards and 10 touchdowns and one two-point conversion catch on offense; he also had nine kickoff returns for 312 yards, including a 91-yard return for a touchdown. He is TheInsiders.com's #62 prospect.
Other official visits: Pitt Dec. 5, UCLA Dec. 16.
Will Michigan be able to hold off the false-glitter lure of Tinsel Town? Stay tuned!
BIG U-M Football Visit Weekend
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Thomas embraces Brown's 'dude' termsMichigan's Dymonte Thomas has embraced Don Brown's coaching mannerisms, being called a "dude" is one of them.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 4:03 PM
Recruiting Breakdown: Michigan vs. MSUMichigan and Michigan State face-off in a Big Ten rivalry battle. Before the Spartans and Wolverines take the field, take a look at their recruiting history and what their
Scout FootballYesterday at 3:57 PM
Butt: Michigan not taking MSU lightlyMichigan senior tight end Jake Butt credits the scout team, coaching staff and 2013 class for week to week approach this season.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 1:12 PM
WATCH: Lewis Lauds Harbaugh's RelentelessnessJourdan Lewis says Michigan headman Jim Harbaugh's penchant for never taking his foot off of the gas pedal even in games the Wolverines are winning in blowout fashion has instilled…
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 12:46 PM