The "game" was not actually a game -- there were not two 'sides' and no score was kept, etc. Instead what played out on a sunny spring day was a long, 1+ hour scrimmage of offensive vs. defense.
Players held out of the scrimmage (Coach Carr said after the game that all would be fine for the fall, except one).
- Defensive end Jeremy Van Alstyne (ACL, suffered last week ... he will be out the the 2004 season).
- Linebacker Lawrence Reid (knee sprain).
- Linebacker Scott McClintock - banged up.
- Linebacker David Harris (ACL during the 2004 season).
- Offensive tackle Adam Stenavich (knee sprain).
- Cornerback Leon Hall (shoulder surgery right after the season).
- Quarterback: Matt Gutierrez took the first few snaps, but Gutierrez and Clayton Richard played approx. the same number of downs.
- Running Back: David Underwood played the first few downs, but in the end Underwood had 7 carries, Jerome Jackson had 10, and Tim Bracken had 6.
- Fullback. Kevin Dudley started, and Shawn Thompson and Jim Pressley contributed.
- Wideout. Braylon Edwards and Jason Avant, with Steve Breaston (nursing various injuries), Carl Tabb and Jermaine Gonzalez also getting significant PT.
- Tight End: Tim Massaquoi and Tyler Ecker were 1A and 1B, and Kevin Murphy and Jim Fisher also contributed.
- Offensive line: with Stenavich out, the starting lineup was RT Mike Kolodziej, RG David Bass, O Leo Henige, LG Matt Lentz, LT Ruben Riley. Other major contributers were C Mark Bihl (nursing a toe injury), OT Jake Long (also significantly hobbled by a toe injury).
- Defensive line (3 spots). There was a new "3-4" look, with the 3 starting 'down linemen' being Gabe Watson, Larry Harrison and Pat Massey. Will Paul also played a lot, and Rondell Biggs and Alex Ofili contributed as well.
- Outside linebacker (2 spots). Pierre Woods and Lamarr Woodley were the starters and Shawn Crable and Roy Manning contributed as well.
- Insider linebacker (2 spots). With Reid and McClintock both out (and Harris), Prescott Burgess and Joey Sarantos started and got most of the snaps.
- Cornerback. Marlin Jackson and Markus Curry were the starters, and Darnell Hood and Grant Mason made solid contributions.
- Safety. Ernest Shazor and Ryan Mundy were the starters, and Willis Barringer and Jacob Stewart contributed.
Offensive stats. These were unofficially kept by GoBlueWolverine (and so may be off by one or so for each player):
-- Gutierrez: 14 of 22 for 101 yards (long of 17 yards) and no touchdowns.
-- Richard: 13 of 21 for 107 yards (long of 20 yards) and no touchdowns.
- Running Backs.
-- Underwood: 7 carries for 82 yards (long of 45 yards; he also had another 45 yarder called back by a penalty).
-- Jackson: 10 carries for 59 yards and a touchdown.
-- Tim Bracken: 6 carries for 25 yards and a touchdown.
-- Edwards: 5 receptions for 52 yards.
-- Tabb: 5 receptions for 31 yards.
-- Avant: 4 receptions for 19 yards.
-- Gonzalez: 3 receptions for 25 yards.
-- Ecker: 1 reception for 8 yards.
-- Murphy: 1 reception for 20 yards.
-- Thompson: 1 reception for 5 yards.
-- Fisher: 1 reception for 10 yards.
-- Jerome Jackson: 1 reception for 6 yards.
-- Jim Pressley: 1 reception.
Spring Game - The Facts
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Thomas 'Appreciates' Harbaugh's Gameday VisitDetroit (Mich.) King 2017 duel threat star Ambry Thomas shines in PSL championship, appreciative of Jim Harbaugh's sideline visit.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 5:27 PM
WATCH: Charlton 'Motivated' to beat MSUWATCH: Taco Charlton remembers MSU's late rushing touchdown in 2014, as Michigan State defeated Michigan 35-11, leaving extra motivation for the defensive this Saturday and more.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 5:09 PM
WATCH: Higdon talks Michigan StateWatch as Michigan running back Karan Higdon says it's 'not about who wins the fight, it's about who wins the war' against Michigan State. Adding that the Wolverines will …
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 2:37 PM
Gay 'fell in love with Michigan this weekend'Starkville (Ms.) 2017 four-star OLB Willie Gay says he "fell in love with Michigan this weekend."
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 1:56 PM
RECAP: Michigan cruses against IlliniTMI's Josh Newkirk and Sam Webb breakdown Michigan's 41-8 win against Illinois.
The Michigan InsiderSaturday at 5:27 PM