Best Guess Recruiting Class: 1st Short List: LB's
The Linebackers Need: This is likely a positon of emphasis for the 04/05 recruiting class: three may be in order. So Michigan may take 3 (or even 4?) recruits from this Linebackers list.
-- The most likely recruits?
- Inside linebacker Brandon Logan (Planned 2004 Michigan Camper, 2003 and 2002 Michigan Camper, US Army Combine stats: 6-0, 189 lbs., 4.72 in the 40, 11 bench press reps., 26 inch vertical jump.) from Lexington, Kent., Catholic. Brandon is a two-time Michigan Camper and has a U-M OFFER. He attended a 2004 Spring Practice. As of mid-May he has offers from U-M, Tennessee, Louisville and Kentucky. He may make an early decision. He's a Max Emfinger 4-star prospect.
GBW Interviews Logan in mid-May.
- Inside linebacker Lamont Robinson (Planned 2004 Michigan Camper, PSU Nike stats: 6-2, 220 lbs., 4.29 sec. shuttle, 28 inch vertical jump, 20 bench press reps. ... 4.6 in the 40, 4.3 GPA/1070 SAT) from Salem, N.J. After the PSU Nike he told us he planned to attend the U-M Camp, and was very excited about Michigan. As of mid-May he has offers from Boston College, Maryland, North Carolina, Rutgers, South Carolina, Syracuse, Virginia and West Virginia. As a junior Robinson registered 90 tackles, three sacks and two interceptions.
GBW Interviews Robinson after mid-May PSU Nike.
- Outside/inside linebacker Andre Mathis (Planned 2004 Michigan Camper, 6-3, 230 lbs., 4.6 in the 40, 3.2 GPA) from Erie, Pa., Cathredal Prep. As a junior he made 88 tackles. He's a Max Emfinger 4-star prospect, and U-M is his early favorite. He got a call from U-M in the spring evaluation period. He is Max Emfinger's #6 Strongside Linebacker.
GBW Interviews Mathis after mid-May PSU Nike.
-- All-Star Longer Shots?
- Inside linebacker Jerome Hayes (6-2, 220 lbs., 4.5 in the 40, 330 lb. bench press, 2.8 GPA) from Bayonne, New Jersey. He has a Michigan OFFER. As a soph. ILB he made 118 tackles, his junior numbers decreased to 70 tackles as he switched to the weak side and teams avoided him; as a junior he also rushed for 1100 yards and had 8 touchdowns. He is a Tom Lemming Top 100 prospect.
GBW Interviews Hayes in mid-May.
- Inside linebacker Derek Nicholson (Possible '04 U-M Camper, 6-1, 230 lbs., 4.6 in the 40, 340 lb. bench press, 32 inch vertical jump) from Winston Salem, N.C., Mt. Tabor. U-M has OFFERed him, and he attended the U-M Spring Game. As a junior he led his team to a 13-2 record and the state 4-A finals, while making 181 tackles, including 27 tackles-for-loss and 10 sacks. Other spring visits: North Carolina, NC State, FSU, Georgia, Virginia Tech. Other offers: all those schools, plus Tennessee, Notre Dame, Virginia, and others. His father, Darrell, was an all-conference linebacker at North Carolina in the early 80's, and his older brother A.J. is a junior linebacker at FSU. He is a Tom Lemming Top 100 prospect.
GBW Interviews Nicholson in mid-April.
- Safety/linebacker Nick Harris (LSU Nike stats: 6-2 1/2, 209 lbs., 35 inch vertial jump, 4.2 sec. shuttle, 12 bench press reps.) from Alexandria, Louisiana. He has a U-M OFFER, and U-M is in his top 3 (but perhaps 3rd) with LSU (camp, no offer) and Texas A&M (camp, offer). Harris was considered one of the top 7 performers in a strong LSU Nike camp.
GBW Interviews Harris in mid-May.
-- Keep your eye on:
- Inside linebacker Nick Simon (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-2 1/2, 220 lbs., 4.7 in the 40, 2.8 GPA) from Shaker Heights, Oh. He lists Notre Dame (his fav.), U-M, and BC, plus PItt., West Virginia and OSU.
- Inside linebacker Andrew Hawken (2003 U-M Camper, 6-2, 220 lbs., 4.65 in the 40) from Grandville, Mich. As a junior he missed 1 1/2 games due to injury, but recorded 1,270 yards and 23 touchdowns (as well as 38 receptions) to lead Grandville to the Division 1 semifinals. He grew up a Michigan fan and attended the Feb. 29th Ohio State game Junior Day. He is a Max Emfinger 4-star prospect., and is considered one of the top 10 instate prospects.
- Linebacker Chris Jeske (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-2, 215 lbs., 4.5 in the 40, 4.3 GPA) from Joliet, Ill., Catholic (Mike Kolodziej's alma mater). As a junior Jeske made 163 tackles, 113 solo as Joliet Catholic won the Illinois State 5A title. He has early offers from Wisconsin and Northwestern, and Michigan visited his school in December. He will attend the Jan. 29 U-M Junior Day, and most likely attend summer camps at Michigan and Ohio State. He is Max Emfinger's #4 Insider Linebacker.
- Linebacker/defensive lineman Matt Lewis (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-2, 245 lbs., 4.6 in the 40, 310 lb. bench press, 32 inch vertical) from Daytona Beach, Fla., Mainland. As a junior he recorded 86 tackles, 23 tackles for loss, 12 sacks to earn second-team All-State honors. He does not have a U-M offer at this time, but is considered one of the top 10-12 Florida juniors -- and U-M may lead for him. Mainland High won the 5-A Florida State Championship last fall.
- Inside linebacker Nick Lawrence (Planned '04 U-M Camper, U.S. Army Combine stats: 6-2, 205 lbs., 15 bench press reps ... 4.7 in the 40) from Brighton. He grew up a Michigan fan and attended the Feb. 29th Ohio State game Junior Day and the U-M Spring Game. He is considered one of the top 10-15 instate prospects.