Best Guess Recruiting Class: 1st Short List: DL's
The Defensive Lineman Need: The bigger need may be for defensive ends (although with the move to a 3-4 this is less so), whereas at this point it looks like the best-and-most recruits are DT's.
-- The most likely recruits?
- (once-and-future commitment?)‘Jumbo athlete' (DE/DT) James McKinney (Planned '04 U-M Camper, US Army Combine stats: 6-1 1/2, 274 lbs., 5.10 in the 40, 14 bench press reps., 24 1/2 inch vertical jump, 2.7 GPA) from Louisville, Kent., Central. He made unofficial visits for the Notre Dame and OSU games -- and committed shortly after the OSU game; in the late winter/spring he backed off is commitment. McKinney is a true 'jumbo athlete' who could end up at any one of a number of positions, but perhaps more likely on thes defensive line. He is Max Emfinger's #3 Defensive Tackle.
GBW Interviews McKinney in mid-May.
- Nose tackle Terrance Taylor (Planned '04 U-M Camper, '03 U-M Camper, 6-0, 285 lbs., 4.9 in the 40, 2.8 GPA/20 ACT) from Muskegon, Mich. Taylor is one of the top two instate juniors, and has a Michigan OFFER. He attended the Jan. 29 U-M Junior Day and a spring practice. He attended several Michigan games last fall, and tells us Michigan is his leader. As a junior he made 68 tackles including 10 sacks. He is one of USA Today's Top Ten Juniors. He is Max Emfingers #3 Nose Tackle.
GBW Interviews taylor in early May.
- Defensive tackle Marques Slocum (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-6, 330 lbs., 4.9 in the 40, 300 lb. bench press) from Philadelphia St John Neumann. He has a U-M OFFER. He and his coach will take a camp tour in th summer, including U-M. He is Max Emfinger's #4 defensive tackle.
GBW Interviews Slocum in mid-May.
- Defensive end Hivera Green (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-5, 260 lbs.,4.75 in the 40) from Conway, S.C. Like his teammate Chris Huggins (WR, 6-3, 186 lbs., 4.5 in the 40) Greene has a U-M OFFER. In late May he told us his top two were U-M and FSU. As a junior Greene recorded 120 tackles, five sacks, four deflected passes, and five forced fumbles.
GBW Interviews Green in mid-May.
- Defensive end J.B. Paxson ('03 U-M Camper, 6-3, 260 lbs., 4.8 in the 40, 315 lb. bench press, 2.6 GPA/860 SAT) from Greenwood, Ind., Center Grove (Jeremy Van Alstyne's and Adam Finley's alma mater). He attended the Feb. 29 Junior Day and a spring practice -- but most of his family attended Purdue. As a junior he made 115 tackles and 23 sacks. He also plans to play baseball (catcher) in college. He is Max Emfinger's #4 Strongside Defensive End.
-- Keep an eye on:
- Tight end/defensive end Edward Dickson (6-6, 250 lbs.) from Bellflower, Calif.
- Defensive end Averell Spicer (6-2, 255 lbs., 2.8 GPA/900 SAT) from Rancho Cucamonga, Calif. As a junior he made 60 tackles and 14 sacks.
GBW Interviews Spicer in mid-May.
- Defensive end Bernard Afutiti ('03 U-M Camper, 6-1, 225 lbs., 4.65 in the 40) from Fontana, California. Michigan is his fav.
GBW Interviews Afutiti in late May.
- Defensive/offensive tackle Rocco Cirroni (6-6, 250 lbs.) from Warren, Ohio, Harding. He attended the OSU game. He's a Max Emfinger 4-star prospect.
- Defensive end Terrance Jamison (6-4, 260 lbs.) from Harvey, Ill., Thornton. He attended the 2004 U-M Spring Game. Terrance is the brother is U-M signee Tim, and U-M was able to make casual-contact with him when they did their in-homes and in-schools with Tim. Terrance is considered a DE prospect like his brother, but started on the O-line as a junior.
- Defensive end Chris McLaurin (6-4, 235 lbs., 4.80 in the 40) from Orchard Lake St. Mary's. As a junior he made 50 tackles and 9 1/2 sacks. He attended the MSU basketball game this winter.