June 1 Best Guess Rec. Class List: Wide Receivers
The Need: with Mario Manningham and Laterryal Savoy committed, hmmm ... gotta find room for Antonio Bass!
- Junior commitment #3 (#4 before the McKinney back-off): Wide receiver Mario Manningham (6-0, 180 lbs., 4.4 in the 40) from Warren, Ohio, Harding (the alma mater of Prescott Burgess). Manningham, a long-time Michigan fan, made an unofficial visit to Michigan for the Indiana game, and committed to the Wolverines on Feb. 5, the day after Signing Day. Considered one of Ohio's top three prospects, as a junior he made 32 receptions, for 700 yards and 11 touchdowns as Harding went 10-1. He is Max Emfinger's #4 wide receiver.
- Junior commitment #4 (#5 before the McKinney back-off): Wide receiver LaTerryal Savoy (LSU Junior Day: 6-2 1/2, 196 lbs.; LSU Nike stats: 4.59 in the 40, 4.18 sec. shuttle, 37 inch vertical jump, 14 bench press reps. ... 300 lb. bench press, 2.5 GPA/14 ACT) from Mamou, La. As a junior he nabbed 44 passes for 783 yards and nine touchdowns. He is a Max Emfinger 4-star prospect.
GBW's Savoy commitment stories
- Athlete (WR/DB/QB) Antonio Bass (Planned '04 U-M Camper, 6-1, 190 lbs., 4.4 in the 40, 3.0 GPA) from Jackson, Mich. He has a U-M OFFER and attended the Feb. 29 Junior Day, a U-M spring practice, and the Michigan Spring Game as well. He could play quarterback, wideout, running back or cornerback. Michigan leads for him, but schools like Nebraska, Virginia Tech and Syracuse are a threat. He is a Top Lemming Top 100 prospect.
GBW visits Jackson High
- Wideout/cornerback Derrick Williams (US Army Combine Stats were: 5-11 1/2, 185 lbs., 4.41 in the 40, 31 inch vertical jump ... 19 bench press reps. of 185 lbs., 2.8 GPA/810 SAT) from Greenbelt, Md., Roosevelt. Michigan has OFFERed him. And he has told us that he is interested in Michigan -- and his coach told us in early april that, "I know Michigan, Florida State, and Tennessee." He finished his junior year (playing QB) with 1,500 yards rushing and 24 touchdowns on the ground along with 700 passing yards and eight touchdowns through the air. On special teams Williams racked up 400 yards in kickoff retruns and took three punt returns back for touchdowns. Defensively he notched three interceptions, one that was taken back for a TD. He is a Top Lemming Top 100 prospect.
GBW talks to Williams at Vir. Nike
GBW's photos of Williams at Vir. Nike
- Wideout DeSean Jackson (5-11, 175 lbs., 4.4 in the 40) from Long Beach., Calif., Poly. As a junior he made 43 receptions for 821 yards and 11 touchdowns. He is Max Emfinger's #3 wide receiver. He has a U-M OFFER, and his dad is an old friend of U-M assistant coach Ron English.
GBW talks to Jackson at Stan. Nike
- Wide receiver/safety Ryan Allison (Planned '04 U-M Camper, '03 U-M Camper, OSU Nike stats: 6-3, 199 lbs, 4.28 in the 40, 36.2 inch vertical jump, 19 bench press reps. ... 3.6 GPA/23 ACT) from Lake Orion Mich., brother of U-M signee Roger. Ryan attended the Jan. 29 Junior Day, where he looked 'buff' enough to possibly grow into a tight end. As a junior, Allison caught 27 passes for 620 yards and four touchdowns.
GBW gets letter from Ryan