In an effort to better reach the new generation of consumers, SBC has launched an innovative promotional campaign dubbed “The College Football Connection.” Today’s sports fan utilizes the latest entertainment technologies on a daily basis, and SBC is looking to connect with those patrons by actually going out to where they are. That being the case, it was a no-brainer to make one of their destinations the largest stadium in the country…The Big House.
A 53-foot interactive trailer will serve as the base of operation. When it arrives, the light-blue hued diesel with the SBC moniker on the sides looks like a normal tractor trailer. However, when it docks, it unfolds into a virtual amusement park equipped with all of the toys for tech heads, armchair quarterbacks, and gamers alike.
SBC Truck unfolded
The items being promoted are SBC Yahoo DSL, SBC/ DISH Network Satellite TV, SBC FreedomLink and SBC Local/Long Distance products and services. During this hands on tour through the mobile facility, fans of all of ages will have the chance to:
- Take on a virtual opponent in the SBC Yahoo! DSL online gaming area. Visitors
who defeat that week's opponent will win a prize.
- Make a free local or domestic long distance call using SBC services.
- Use provided laptop computers to check the day's scores and browse the
Internet through SBC Yahoo! DSL.
- Lounge in the tailgate area, watch highlights from other games and experience
SBC I DISH Network satellite TV.
- Take commemorative photos in the digital imaging area and learn more about
using fast-connecting SBC Yahoo! DSL for quick photo downloading.
- Visit with a local sports celebrity who will sign autographs and have pictures
taken with fans.
- Learn about Wi-Fi with SBC FreedomLink, the SBC public wireless high-speed
Internet access service.
- Visit the Cingular Wireless display kiosk. Visitors can also download a
free ring tone on their Cingular phones.
- Check-out SMARTpages.com ® to plan game day activities.
- Register to win SBC branded merchandise or the grand prize, an SBC Connection pack, which includes an X-Box gaming console and a high-definition TV.
The gaming area is one of the major attractions. Fans will get the opportunity to “be Michigan” and take on San Diego State on an X-Box video game. Should he or she come out the victor in the contest, they will win a number of prizes including a chance to win tickets to this week’s game. Another surefire attraction will be the imaging center. There, fans can have their digital photos imposed on an attractive themed background and printed up in poster form.
SBC Gaming Area
The SBC truck arrived in town Wednesday and operated on Elbel for two days. Many interested passers-by have already had the experience. The SBC folks closed up shop last night but will return Saturday morning from 8:00 AM to 12:00 PM on the Blue Lot next to Crisler Arena. All fans are welcome. And as a special treat, former UM great and 1991 Heisman trophy winner Desmond Howard will be present to sign autographs from 10-11:30 a.m.
Michigan is the second stop on a season long tour that will also see them show up in Columbus for the best rivalry game in all of college football…. Michigan versus Ohio State. For a complete listing of tour stops, click here.