1. Matt Leinart, QB, USC – He is playing flawless football right now and is the leader of this Trojan team. He was nearly perfect in the close game against Stanford completing 24 of 30 for 308 yards and scored one touchdown on a keeper. Mr. Leinart is having a great season completing 85 of 125 for 1,047 yards on the season with 9 touchdowns and one interception. The game this week will define his Heisman campaign against the Bears, because last year he threw three interceptions in the overtime loss. We know he'll have a seat, but will he be able to handle the pressure of being the leader all season long?
2. Jason White, QB, Oklahoma - The Sooners were off last week, but Jason is defending his title. He is 51 of 71 so far on the year for 708 yards with 6 touchdowns and only one interception. We all know he'll have a seat in New York City, but will he actually be able to defend his title and be the first to win back to back since an old Ohio State Buckeye was able to achieve that feat. They are hosting the Texas Tech Raiders and should be able to put some good numbers up this week, so will look for success again and let's watch how his season unfolds in the Big 12.
3. Cedric Benson, RB, Texas – He just shredded the number one rushing defense in the country in Rice for 189 yards with 126 of those coming in the first half. Mr. Benson has 64 carries for 558 yards and 4 Touchdowns. He is a well focused senior and looks very intense to deliver a championship in Austin, Texas this year for Coach Mack Brown. He might be the best running back in the country and if he can stay healthy he will have a seat in New York City!
4. Kyle Orton, QB, Purdue – He will surprise you all year, but this Senior Quarterback is having one great start to his season. Kyle Orton is 74 of 96 for 982 yards with 13 Touchdowns as they have started 3-0 and are now the front runners in the Big Ten. If you don't believe that this kid as a chance to win the Heisman than watch this week as he will pick apart the Notre Dame defense! Is he really better than Drew Brees? Not sure on that yet, but if he continues at this pace look for him in New York City!
5. Reggie Bush, RB, USC – This Kid can do it all and even plays special teams as he returned a punt for 33 yards against Stanford this past week in the close win on the road. He also ran 16 times for 96 yards with a touchdown, but he also plays all special teams as the returner and is one of Leinart's favorite targets as a receiver too. He needs a big day against Cal and sharing the backfield might hamper his chances in winning the Heisman, but there is not a question of how good this kid is for the Trojans! He is a very valuable asset to offensive coordinator Norm Chow and that is what happens when you can do it all like Mr. Bush!
Others to Watch:
6. Antrel Rolle, CB, Miami, Fla.
7. Anthony Rodgers, QB, California
8. Alex Smith, QB, Utah
9. Carnell Williams, RB, Auburn
10. Vernand Morency, RB, Oklahoma State
11. Ryan Moats, RB, Louisiana Tech
12. Adrian Peterson, RB, Oklahoma
13. David Greene, QB, Georgia
14. LeDale White, RB, USC
15. Braylon Edwards, WR, Michigan
16. J.J. Arrington, RB, California
17. Kay-Jay Harris, RB, West Virginia
18. Andrew Walter, QB, Arizona State
19. Darren Sproles, RB, Kansas State
20. Ciatrick Fason, RB, Florida
21. Brock Berlin, QB, Miami, Fla.
22. Rasheed Marshall, QB, West Virginia
23. Chris Leak, QB, Florida
24. Mark Clayton, WR, Oklahoma
25. Laurence Maroney, RB, Minnesota
Ouimet's Heisman (Week 5)
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
TMI: Recruitin' NuggetsTMI: Recruitin' Nuggets -- See which top recruits Michigan have official visits set, plus in-home visits & more.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 6:21 PM
Webblog: Could U-M Ties Help Lure Fruhmorgen?A number of former Wolverines are friends of Jake Fruhmorgen's family. Could they help Michigan's chances of landing the Clemson offensive line transfer?
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 2:28 PM
PSU OL Commit Recaps U-M Home VisitPittsburgh (Pa.) Central Catholic offensive lineman C.J. Thorpe has been committed to Penn State since last spring, but hasn't stopped the Nittany Lion legacy recruit from…
The Michigan InsiderWednesday at 7:25 AM
Badgers rally late, defeat Wolverines 68-64Late comeback sparks No. 17 Wisconsin's 68-64 win against Michigan.
The Michigan InsiderTuesday at 8:24 PM