Wolverine Icers Tied Twice By MSU

MSU came to Yost Ice Arena Friday night for the second time of the season last night in a game that involved all the drama you would expect in a rivalry game of this magnitude. No. 5 U-M led for most of the game, but two late goals by Drew Miller of MSU knotted the score 2-2 which is how the game ended.<br><br> (Saturday's rematch ended in a tie as well, 1-1. Click <A HREF=http://mgoblue.com/section_display.cfm?section_id=190&top=2&level=2><b>HERE</b></a> for the MGoBlue.com story.)

In the 239th meeting between the two schools, the Wolverine offense came out firing early. Charlie Henderson, a senior from East Lansing, scored his second goal of the season 3:56 into the first period of play.

Jeff Tambellini set up the Wolverines initial scoring chance with an early break on Spartan goalie Dominic Vicari. Tambellini's shot took a funny bounce off the goaltender right to Henderson who skated in along the goalie's right side. Henderson blasted it into the back of the net to make the score 1-0.

Michigan continued to pressure the Spartan defense through out the first period, resulting in three Michigan State penalties over a two minute period of time.

The Wolverines capitalized on the special team opportunity when Jeff Tambellini scored his 14th goal of the season at 13:10 of the period on a shot from the point.

Michigan would outshoot the Spartans 19-5 in the first period of play but would not be able to beat Vicari again on the night despite multiple opportunities.

In the second period of play, neither team was able to find the back of the net and things looked to be under control for Michigan after successfully killing their first two penalties of the night successfully.

Michigan State put nine shots at the Wolverine net in the second period but Al Montoya was up to the challenge, brushing away each of the Spartans first 14 shots of the night.

In the final period of play, the Wolverines out shot the Spartans for the third time in three periods, but the Spartans were able to beat Montoya twice while Vicari kept the Wolverines out of the Spartan net to tie the game 2-2.

Drew Miller beat Al Montoya by tipping a shot from the point over the glove of Montoya at 17:34 of the final period.

Then, with the game seemingly in hand, Miller beat Montoya again with 1.2 seconds left on the official game clock to send the game to overtime. Miller, camped out inside the slot, took a pass from Spartan captain Jim Slater and tucked it away just before the horn.

Michigan out shot the Spartans 3-1 in overtime but neither team w

as able to score the game deciding goal and the game would end 2-2.

The two teams complete their regular season series Saturday night at Joe Louis Arena in Detroit.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories