U-M Hockey: Back-To-Back!

The No. 4 Michigan hockey team completed the road portion of their Central Collegiate Hockey Association schedule in Bowling Green, Ohio, tonight, defeating the Bowling Green Falcons 4-1 at BGSU Ice Arena. The victory clinches the Wolverines' second consecutive CCHA regular season championship, and the senior class's third championship in four years.

Heading into the final weekend of CCHA play, the Wolverines were right where they were hoping to be, in a position to lock up the No. 1 seed in the CCHA tournament. With a three point lead over Ohio State in the conference standings, one win over BGSU was all the Wolverines would need to lock up the top spot in the tournament.

The Wolverines struck first in tonight's contest, taking advantage of a Falcon miscue while Bowling Green State was on the power play. Kevin Porter set the play up for the Wolverines by getting his stick on a Falcon shot from the point. The puck trickled into the neutral zone to the stick of Andrew Ebbett. Ebbett raced down the ice with Porter as the trailer and a quick deke beat the Falcon's lone defender opening the ice for Ebbett to flip the puck past Falcon goalie Jordan Sigalet.

The Wolverine lead was short lived, however, with BGSU answering with a goal of there own 23 seconds later. Falcon Jonathan Matsumoto's shot made its way to the Michigan net where Wolverine goalie Al Montoya made the save, but the puck bounced out front to BGSU winger Mike Falk who slammed the puck home before Montoya could make his way to the far post.

BGSU continued to pressure the Wolverines for the remainder of the period out shooting Michigan 6-4, but the rebound goal was all the Falcons could get on the night.

Michigan would retake the lead for good 10:00 into the second period. Andrew Ebbett sent the puck towards the Falcon goal from along the left boards and Eric Nystrom tipped the puck over the shoulder of Sigalet to make the score 2-1.

Jeff Tambellini would provide the Wolverines with breathing room 1:42 into the third period, ripping a shot from just outside the slot that beat Sigalet's glove to the top of the net to make it 3-1.

T.J. Hensick concluded the nights scoring at 16:41 by tapping in his 22nd goal of the season on a Wolverine two-on-one with Kevin Porter.

The 4-1 win boosts the Wolverine CCHA point total to 46, clinching the Wolverines second consecutive regular season championship and locking Michigan into the No. 1 seed for the CCHA tournament. Michigan will now return to Ann Arbor for senior day versus BGSU tomorrow night at Yost Ice Arena.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories