Wolverine Icers Complete Weekend Sweep

On Saturday, the Michigan hockey team was back in Ann Arbor to complete a weekend sweep of the Notre Dame Fighting Irish. Michigan downed the Irish 4-2 behind two goals from Chad Kolarik and one tally each from Andrew Cogliano and T.J. Hensick.

ANN ARBOR, MICH. - After last nights shootout between the Wolverines and Fighting Irish in South Bend, Indiana, the two clubs made the quick drive to Ann Arbor on Saturday for the two schools final tilt of the regular season.

Unlike last night, it was the Wolverines that struck first in the contest with a power-play goal from Andrew Cogliano. At 4:57, Andrew Cogliano sent a low shot from the right circle that lit the scoring lamp behind Jordan Pearce, the Irish's screened goalie.

It didn't take long, however, for Notre Dame to answer back and take their first and only lead of the game. 1:37 later at 6:34, Irish senior Dan Amado knotted the game at one apiece by jamming his own rebound home past Michigan goalie Billy Sauer after Sauer was unable to control the rebound on the shot from his blocker side.

Then, at 11:24, Notre Dame took the lead off the stick of Michael Bartlett and his first goal of the year. With the faceoff to Sauer's right, the Irish won the draw and the puck found its way to Michael Bartlett along the boards just outside of the circle. Bartlett's quick blast found its way past Sauer over the goaltender's blocker to put ND on top 2-1. Two goals were all the Fighting Irish could muster on the night.

Chad Kolarik netted two consecutive goals, both on the power play, to put Michigan back on top. With only 13 seconds remaining in the opening stanza, Michigan went on the power play thanks to an obstruction-tripping penalty to Notre Dame's Tim Wallace. Kolarik tucked the puck into the net after Jack Johnson's laser shot from the point deflecting off the Irish goalie right to Kolarik.

Then in the second period, a period where Notre Dame only generated two shots, Kolarik put the Wolverines in the lead 3-2 with another power-play goal, this one coming from a cross-ice pass from Andrew Cogliano. Kolarik roofed the puck over Pearce after the pass from Cogliano caught Pearce out of position. It was Kolarik's third goal of the weekend.

T.J. Hensick extended the Wolverines lead 1:22 later after pouncing on a loose puck behind the Notre Dame net a slipping it past the Irish goalie to conclude the contests scoring. Hensick found the puck behind the Irish goal after it was dumped into the zone by Kevin Porter and Jason Bailey and then wrapped around the far post tucking the puck between Pearce's legs and U-M led 4-2 after two.

In the third period, ND outshot the Wolverines 17-9, but the Irish were unable to fight their way back into the game as Billy Sauer stepped his game up in the final period of play to preserve the 4-2 win.

No. 3 Michigan next takes the ice at Northern Michigan University for games on Friday and Saturday night next weekend in a battle of ranked CCHA teams.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories