Wolverine Icers Swept by RedHawks

On Saturday, the No. 3 University of Michigan hockey team concluded the tail end of a two game series with the Miami University RedHawks at the Goggin Ice Arena in Oxford, Ohio. Sloppy play inside the neutral zone, and even the Wolverines defensive end, cost the Wolverines as they dropped a tight contest 4-3.

In the first period, it was the RedHawks that struck first after a Wolverines miscue in the neutral zone saw the puck pop out into the open ice to Miami's Matt Jones. With nothing but open ice in front of him, Jones coasted into the offensive zone, crossed Michigan goalie Noah Ruden over from right to left, and calmly flipped the puck with the backhand over Ruden's glove.

Minutes later, the Wolverines answered back on a power-play goal from T.J. Hensick. On the goal, Hensick's second of the weekend series, T.J. snapped the puck from the bottom of the left circle past Miami goalie Jeff Zatkoff following a point shot from Jack Johnson.

At that point, the Wolverines continued to press the RedHawks, and as a result took their first lead of the game. On the penalty kill, Michigan captain Andrew Ebbett stripped Miami forward Ryan Jones along the boards and coasted into the RedHawks zone firing a rocket that trickled through the legs of Zatkoff and into the net.

Later on that power play, however, Ryan Jones knotted the game 2-2. After Ruden made a save on the far post, the puck trickled to Jones on the near side who tapped the puck into the empty net to end the first period.

Opening the second period, it was the RedHawks that came out aggressive taking the play to Michigan. After an errant pass inside the Wolverines own zone, Matt Christie coasted in front of the Michigan net beating Ruden only to have his shot clank off the far post.

After the RedHawks opportunity rung off the post, the Wolverines went on top with eight minutes left in the second frame. Brandon Kaleniecki was credited with his third goal of the season after a puck sent up into the air deflected off the shoulder of RedHawks defender Mitch Ganzak and into the net.

And then things got interesting.

With just under three minutes left in the period, Miami knotted the game 3-3 with a goal by Nathan Davis. Davis intercepted a pass in the neutral zone and sent the puck through the legs of Ruden.

After scoring, Davis was headed right towards Jack Johnson who took exception to the Miami goal and knocked the RedHawks forward to the ice. As a result, Johnson was given penalties for cross-checking, boarding, and a 10-minute game misconduct. In the end, the Wolverines were faced with a seven-minute penalty kill.

While the Wolverines were able to successfully kill the penalties, the energy exerted early in the period and lack bodies along the backline eventually caught up to the Maize and Blue.

9:04 into the period, Miami would take the lead for good. With the puck behind the Michigan net, Wolverines defenseman Tim Cook sent a pass towards the Wolverine blue line. Miami captain Andy Greene read the pass and cut it off flying into the zone alone. At that point it was automatic as Greene used a wrist shot to beat Ruden and put the home team on top.

Michigan next takes the ice at Yost Ice Arena where the Wolverines will host the Nebraska-Omaha Mavericks.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories