Hockey: Nanooks Overwhelm Wolverines

On Saturday, the No. 7 University of Michigan hockey team returned to the cold floor of Yost Ice Arena to conclude the weekend series with the Nanooks of the University of Alaska-Fairbanks. After the Maize and Blue's 4-0 victory last night, the Wolverines were unable to match the same intensity shown in the series opener as UAF shocked the home crowd with a 4-1 upset.

After climbing within four points of the Miami RedHawks in the Central Collegiate Hockey Association standings last night, the U-M hockey team looked to continue its climb by completing a weekend sweep of the Alaska-Fairbanks Nanooks. But no one remembered to tell the Nanooks.

At 1:21 of the opening period, UAF jumped out to a 1-0 lead with a power-play goal from Jordan Emmerson. Emmerson sent the puck past Sauer from the goal mouth after a cross-ice pass from the left circle made its way to his open stick. And from there it would only get worse.

Under a minute later at 2:12, the Nanooks added a second goal, this one from Kyle Jones. Jones beat Sauer through the five-hole from the bottle of the right circle after one-timing a cross from left to right.

Kevin Porter would try and draw the Wolverines back within one, but his power play shot rang off the post to keep the score 2-0 five minutes in.

UAF added a third goal, the eventual game winner, at 8:01. Curtis Fraser recorded his eighth goal of the season from just off of the right post as the Wolverines were seconds away from successfully killing the front end of a five-on-three situation. Fraser took the pass on the post from Kelly Czuy and quickly snapped it into the Michigan net.

After the first twenty minutes, U-M trailed 3-0.

In the second, the Wolverines would start with an offensive flurry. With an added sense of urgency, the Wolverines outshot the Nanooks 11-5, yet the Wolverines were only able to solve UAF goalie Chad Johnson one solitary time in the frame.

Just like the first, UAF scored first in the second frame. In a goal that had to be reviewed, Adam Powell poked the puck past Sauer after crashing into the Michigan goalie and powering the puck over the goaline.

Chad Kolarik netted the Wolverines first goal of the contest, his seventh of the year, on a breakaway at 11:48. Kolarik coasted into the Nanooks zone alone and fired a low shot past the Nanooks goalie to trim the lead to 4-1.

Michigan would threaten again with two power plays, but the Wolverines were unable to draw any closer before the second buzzer sounded.

At the midway point in the final period, the Wolverines would draw within two, but that was as close as they could get. Tim Miller added his third goal of the season while the Wolverines were skating with an extra skater due to a delayed Nanooks penalty. Miller riffled the puck over the glove of Johnson from the right faceoff circle to make it 4-2.

Alaska-Fairbanks would provide the Wolverines with even more opportunities to trim the lead with numerous penalties over the remainder of the game, but Michigan was never able to solve the Nanooks penalty kill going 0 for 12 on the power play in the contest.

Michigan will now take a weekend off from CCHA play with a Friday night exhibition against the U.S. National Team Developmental Program Under-18 team in Ann Arbor.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories