Falcons drop Wolverines 5-2

One night removed from a 6-1 victory over Bowling Green State University in Ann Arbor, the sixth-ranked Michigan hockey team made the trip to Bowling Green, Ohio where they looked to complete the weekend sweep. However, things didn't go as planned. After falling behind 3-0, the Wolverines were not able to rebound as they fell to the Falcons 5-2.

Where did the Wolverines go? After a 6-1 drubbing of the BGSU hockey team on Friday night, the Wolverines made the trip to BGSU in an attempt to sweep the Falcons and climb back into the CCHA regular season championship race. It didn't go like Michigan fans expected.

Unlike last night, it was the Falcons with the quick jump on the Wolverines tonight. James Unger put BGSU on top 1-0 less then five minutes in, scoring on a beautiful two-on-one rush after Wolverine defenseman Matt Hunwick got caught pinching at the blue line.

Michigan outshot the Falcons 15-13 in the period, but none of the Michigan opportunities resulted in goals. BGSU, on the other hand, took advantage.

In the second period, it would continue to be the Falcons on the attack. Only 2:20 into the period, Michael Hodgson, the Falcons sophomore defenseman, put BGSU on top 2-0. Hodgson sent the puck past Ruden's glove with traffic in front of the net to provide the Falcons with an insurance goal for their first lead of the weekend.

Michigan would attempt to answer back, but the Wolverines sent a shot hard off the post and the score remained 2-0.

BGSU built the lead up to three goals at 7:29. Derek Whitmore was credited with the power-play goal as the Falcons forward sent a pass from the goaline that took a bad bounce off the inside of Noah Ruden's right leg and back into the Michigan net.

Following the third goal, the Wolverines finally began to play. Unfortunately it was too little too late. With time winding down on a Michigan power play, Michigan's Mark Mitera sent a blistering shot that rang off the post as the score remained 3-0.

Minutes later, the Wolverines didn't miss. At 18:03, Chad Kolarik's power-play goal drew Michigan within 3-1 after firing a shot past Horrell's glove from just between the circles.

BGSU almost pushed the lead back to three goals after the Wolverines allowed their second breakaway of the game while on the power play. Ruden made the big save as the clock struck one second left and the teams left for the second intermission.

Whatever momentum the Wolverines earned from the goal late in the second period was short lived. Only 1:37 into the final frame, BGSU extended the lead to 4-1 when a shot from the point was deflected in front of the net by Falcon Rich Meloche for the Falcons second power-play goal of the night.

BGSU earned a second consecutive power play minutes later, and they capitalized again. With Matt Hunwick in the box for a second consecutive time, the Falcons scored their fifth goal of the night on a three-on-one opportunity.

Kevin Porter would add a power-play goal at 9:31, but that's all the Wolverines could muster in a 5-2 loss.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories