Buckeyes Outlast Wolverines 7-5

On Friday, the No. 6-ranked Michigan ice hockey team dropped a 7-5 decision to the Ohio State Buckeyes. Despite out shooting the Buckeyes, the Wolverines were not able to overcome the overwhelming amount of mistakes made defensively in a game that the Wolverines needed to win. Andrew Ebbett netted two goals for Michigan in the 7-5 loss.

In a game that featured two offenses struggling as of late, you'd expect an out burst of five goals to get the job done. However, that wasn't the case for the No. 6-ranked Wolverines as they dropped a 7-5 decision to the visiting Buckeyes of Ohio State on Friday night.

"If you score five goals against that team, you should win. We gave up some soft goals, and that was a big factor in this game," Michigan coach Red Berenson said after the game. "You can't give up some of those goals. It is goalkeeping, it is defensive awareness, too many outnumbered rushes against us."

Ohio State jumped out to a 1-0 lead on Michigan just 53 seconds into the game. A turnover along the boards in the Michigan zone cost the Wolverines as Ohio State's Tom Fritsche beat Michigan goalie Billy Sauer for the only goal in the first period of play.

Michigan captain Andrew Ebbett, a two-goal scorer in tonight's contest, would both tie the game and put Michigan on top for the first time. At 4:33 of the second frame, Ebbett tucked the puck past Ohio State goalie Dave Caruso's right skate to make it 1-1, and 1:35 later the Michigan center beat Caruso shorthanded on the breakaway to put Michigan on top 2-1.

"He played like the captain. He played terrific; he gave us everything he had," said Berenson on his captain after the game. "You get leadership like that and you need everyone to follow."

However, the momentum provided by Andrew Ebbett was short lived. Within two minutes of the Wolverines first lead of the contest, the Buckeyes' Nick Biondo split the Michigan defense and skated in alone on Sauer tucking the puck between his legs to knot it 2-2.

Brandon Kaleniecki put Michigan back on top with a power-play goal at 10:40, but again Ohio State would answer with a goal within the next minute to tie the score 3-3.

Michigan would take its final lead of the night with just over five minutes remaining in the period when defenseman Jack Johnson flung the puck at the Buckeyes net at the top of the left circle and the puck made its way through traffic in front of the net and over the shoulder of Caruso to make it 4-3. At 18:14, the Wolverines David Rohlfs tucked a rebound past Caruso for a seemingly 5-3 lead; however, a quick whistle from the official negated the Michigan goal and kept it 4-3 after two periods.

Ohio State opened the final frame with two quick goals to retake the lead from the home Wolverines. 47 seconds into the frame, Andrew Schembri rocketed the puck past Sauer into the Michigan net to tie the game and 42 seconds later Matt Waddell put Ohio State on top by beating Sauer on the near post on a poorly angled shot from the bottom of the left circle.

Michigan wasn't done though. David Rohlfs would strike back and tie the score at six apiece at 6:11. Rohlfs fired a laser into the top right corner of the net as he skated in along the right side boards.

Ohio State would break the tie less then two minutes later beating new Michigan goalie Noah Ruden to the far post while skating in from the left hand side. OSU also added an empty net goal in the final minute of play to ice the 7-5 victory.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories