Ferris State Stuns Wolverines

On Saturday, the seventh-ranked U-M hockey team dropped an overtime decision to Ferris State after holding a 3-0 lead through 40 minutes of play. In the loss, U-M picked up goals from a trio of freshman. Travis Turnball, Jack Johnson and Andrew Cogliano all netted goals for U-M in the senior night loss to the Bulldogs of Ferris State.

It was all going according to plan. After the first 40 minutes of play, the U-M hockey team led visiting Ferris State 3-0. But then all the wheels fell off. A three-goal third period from the visiting Bulldogs sent the game to overtime, where FSU would shock the Wolverines with the game-winner just 42 seconds in.

"It's terrible. It is the worst period of the year at home. It is Senior Night, it was supposed to be a tribute to honoring our seniors who have really been the heart and soul players for us, and this is what they got," said U-M coach Red Berenson after the game. "It is not the last game at home, but it is a tough night. Here is a game we cannot do anything about tomorrow night. We are off now for two weeks so maybe we need the break or maybe we do not, but we got it."

It took until the middle frame for either team to establish dominance, and at that point it looked as if the Wolverines would coast to victory. After U-M killed off a two-man Ferris State advantage to start the period, U-M jumped out to a three goal lead behind goals from Travis Turnball, Jack Johnson and Andrew Cogliano.

Travis Turnball struck first at 6:35. Camped out in front of the slot, Turnball fired the puck past FSU goalie Mitch O'Keefe after U-M forward David Rohlfs cycled the puck behind the Ferris State net to Tim Miller. From the back corner, Miller found Turnball in front of the net for the U-M goal.

At 17:24, Jack Johnson doubled the U-M lead with his ninth goal of the season. Just in front of the FSU net, Johnson tipped the puck into the net off an Andrew Ebbett cross while crashing the far post on an odd-man rush.

Andrew Cogliano added the Wolverines final goal of the contest with just 28 seconds remaining in the frame. On the goal, Cogliano tucked the puck past O'Keefe after a backhand pass from T.J. Hensick in the right corner found a wide open Cogliano.

However, at that point momentum switched sides. In the third, the Wolverines put just four shots on the Bulldogs net as Ferris State mounted a late comeback. Mark Bomersback drew the Bulldogs within 3-1 at 3:04. Bomersback pushed the puck between the legs of U-M goalie Billy Sauer after the Wolverines coughed the puck up inside their own zone.

"It just takes a little bit to change the momentum of the game. Obviously, we gave them a chance. We turned the puck over on the first goal, it was a poor play," said Berenson. "The puck came around to (Chad) Kolarik and he got rid of it and they picked it up and bang, in the net. That gave them a life. Then the momentum started to change and we did not do anything about it."

Just minutes later at 6:38, FSU's Dan Riedel won a face-off inside the U-M zone. At the top of the circles, Corey Couturier jumped on the puck and quickly threw it at the net past Sauer to make it 3-2.

Matt Frank tied it 3-3 with just under five-minutes remaining in the contest. A third goal through the five-hole, Frank fired a rocket through the legs of Sauer from just between the circles to complete the comeback.

Zac Pearson netted the game winner 42 seconds into overtime.

Despite the Wolverines 4-3 overtime loss, U-M enters the CCHA tournament as the No. 3 seed.

The Michigan Insider Top Stories