Week in Review
CCHA regular season play opened with a pair of weekend series'. CCHA favorite Michigan State split a two-game series with the Western Michigan Broncos and the Ohio State Buckeyes split at home with the Lake Superior State Lakers.
Miami of Ohio swept Canisius in two home games to improve to 3-1-0 after splitting a pair of games at home for the ice breaker in the season opening weekend. Michigan also picked up a pair of victories in non-conference play with wins at home against Alabama-Huntsville and Connecticut. Alaska and Ferris State also had a weekend sweeps by taking two from Air Force and Mercyhurst on each of their home ices.
Notre Dame split a non-conference series with Minnesota State-Mankato with a 7-1 win and a 3-2 loss. Northern Michigan split with WCHA rival Michigan Tech in a tilt that saw two teams from the Upper Peninsula. Nebraska-Omaha fought through 130 minutes of hockey to notch two ties, one coming against No. 15 Colorado College.
Bowling Green finished the weekend 1-0-1 against Connecticut and Alabama-Huntsville on the weekend.
1. Michigan - Wolverines looked dominant in four of six periods last weekend. They'll need to make that six of six this weekend against Miami to hold onto the No. 1 spot.
2. Michigan State - Spartans slip just one despite a split with Western Michigan. Lawson Ice Arena in Kalamazoo is not an easy place to play.
3. Miami, OH. - RedHawks remain No. 3 after sweep of Canisius.
4. Ohio State - Buckeyes will have growing pains with a freshman goalie and an injured Tom Fritsche. Joe Palmer was fantastic pitching a 1-0 shutout victory in his first collegiate game, but a 7-6 overtime loss to follow is a problem.
5. Northern Michigan - Only pulled a split with Michigan Tech, but had the Badgers on the ropes the weekend before.
6. Nebraska-Omaha - A pair of ties keep the Mavericks in the middle of the pack.
7. Notre Dame - Can shoot up with a win on the road at No. 1 Boston College.
8. Alaska - A huge battle with Alaska-Anchorage this upcoming weekend.
9. Lake Superior State - Picking up two points in Columbus will be good to build confidence.
10. Western Michigan - A split with Michigan State helps the Broncos out of the basement.
11. Bowling Green - Picked up three of four points against Connecticut and Alabama-Huntsville.
12. Ferris State - a .500 record against Union and Mercyhurst isn't going to cut it.
Offensive Player of the Week
- Chad Kolarik, Michigan
The Wolverines junior forward netted the first hat trick of his Michigan career in a 7-5 victory over Connecticut. Kolarik finished the weekend with four goals, three assists and a +2 rating on the weekend.
Defensive Player of the Week
- Jack Johnson, Michigan
Super sophomore Jack Johnson recorded two goals and three assists for Michigan this weekend, but more importantly the defenseman was +6 for the weekend.
Game of the Week
No. 8/9 Miami vs. No. 5 Michigan
Miami of Ohio took it to the Wolverines in Oxford, Ohio last season. The Wolverines were never able to overcome the four point jump in the standings and can't afford to give away points at home, especially to the RedHawks.
Key Match-up: Billy Sauer vs. Charlie Effinger/Jeff Zatkoff
Billy Sauer is the likely x-factor all season for the Wolverines. After looking great in exhibition play and in his first four periods of the regular season, Sauer slipped and let in five goals over the final two periods against Connecticut. Michigan needs him to regain his season-opening form to sweep the RedHawks. Charlie Effinger and Jeff Zatkoff will split time in the Miami net. Effinger, Miami's Friday night goalie, was dominant last season and Zatkoff went in the third round of the NHL draft after shutting the door on Miami's Saturday night opponents.
In other action...
No. 8 Michigan State vs. USA NTDP Under-18 Team (Exhibition)
Northern Michigan vs. Massachusetts-Lowell
Niagara vs. Nebraska-Omaha
Notre Dame vs. No. 1 Boston College
Bowling Green vs. Providence
No. 7 Minnesota vs. Ohio State (X2)
Lake Superior State vs. No. 14/15 Clarkson (X2)
Alaska vs. Alaska-Anchorage (X2)
Ferris State vs. Western Michigan
Bowling Green vs. No. 1 Boston College
Western Michigan vs. Ferris State
Notre Dame vs. Providence
CCHA Notebook: October 19
The Michigan Insider Top Stories
Oregon DL Commit Intrigued by MichiganMichigan is in hot pursuit Nashville (Tenn.) Lipscomb defensive tackle Rutger Reitmaier, and the Oregon commit will likely visit Ann Arbor in the near future.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 2:53 PM
WATCH: TMI Previews Michigan vs. MSUWATCH: TMI's Josh Newkirk and Sam Webb preview Michigan vs. Michigan State, as the Wolverines try to win in East Lansing for the first time since 2007.
The Michigan InsiderYesterday at 9:11 AM
Thomas embraces Brown's 'dude' termsMichigan's Dymonte Thomas has embraced Don Brown's coaching mannerisms, being called a "dude" is one of them.
The Michigan InsiderTuesday at 4:03 PM
Recruiting Breakdown: Michigan vs. MSUMichigan and Michigan State face-off in a Big Ten rivalry battle. Before the Spartans and Wolverines take the field, take a look at their recruiting history and what their
Scout FootballTuesday at 3:57 PM